• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Neat Trick To Beat The Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caviequeen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For those of you who are worried about there piggies I saw this trick in a petstore the other day and I've been using it ever since you take a water bottle and put some ice and water in it and just lay it in your piggies cage/pets cage and they can curl up next to it,my lionhead rabbit Ivy loves it especially since she gets so hot cause of all her hair, I'm talking about this as something extra you would still obviously have your drinking water bottle as well.

I agree this works a treat. My sheltie pig was feeling it yesterday, and she loved lying next to it. :)

Funnily enough, I tried this yesterday - and they wouldn't go near it.

Funnily enough, I tried this yesterday - and they wouldn't go near it.

Only two of my four pigs went near it. The long haired girl and my chunkier girl! The other two wouldn't entertain it.

Not every piggy will actually go near a cold object during hot weather in my experience, not even when any cool or frozen bottles or whatever are wrapped in a sock or some other fabric. You usually need to combine a number of tricks to make hot weather bearable, especially when you do not have air conditioning or are keeping your piggies outside in a milder climate.

Sadly, many piggies and bunnies have died in the UK yesterday during one of the hottest days in nearly a decade due to ignorance and negligence. I have already heard of several deaths. :(

Here are our tips in case you ever need them, @Caviequeen. I have been desperately trying to get them to spread on social media as much as possible in the hope of saving lives.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/hot-weather-management-and-heat-strokes.105317/

Mine were absolutely terrified when I put a wrapped-up ice brick in their cage - they all froze for ages and then shot into the hay pile and refused to come out until I took the brick away :(

:DSorry @Caviequeen , but we in the UK have been using this trick for years!
I find that I can only get my pigs to sit on their cooling things if I make them as flat as possible and blend it into their normal bedding! :doh:

:DSorry @Caviequeen , but we in the UK have been using this trick for years!
I find that I can only get my pigs to sit on their cooling things if I make them as flat as possible and blend it into their normal bedding! :doh:

7 squeakers I know I was not the first person to come up with this, I get it but I was Just saying for those ppl who don't know and might find it useful.

Not every piggy will actually go near a cold object during hot weather in my experience, not even when any cool or frozen bottles or whatever are wrapped in a sock or some other fabric. You usually need to combine a number of tricks to make hot weather bearable, especially when you do not have air conditioning or are keeping your piggies outside in a milder climate.

Sadly, many piggies and bunnies have died in the UK yesterday during one of the hottest days in nearly a decade due to ignorance and negligence. I have already heard of several deaths. :(

Here are our tips in case you ever need them, @Caviequeen.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/hot-weather-management-and-heat-strokes.105317/
I get wiebke that not all pigs or rabbits would enjoy this but I thought it worth saying for those who would like to try it out for there piggies, I saw it in the petstore and thought it was kinda a neat trick.

We have tried a new trick in the caravan and that is placing freezer blocks on the top of the cage. Using physics it draws up the warmer air from out of the cage and the cooler air drops. Seems to have worked well.

none of my piggies ever seem to like the frozen bottles. i now have a cooling tile, a cooling pad, and ice pods! i always usually put them under a towel or piece of fleece and find they use them more that way.

for some reason, mollie seems to like that the ice pod makes a kind of 'hill' under the towel and she likes walking over it! :)) :luv:

eta: i also give them a bowl of water which they won't drink from, but benjie likes to dip his whiskers in it! :))

I have a tiny watering can that i water the grass with and then water archie abit, seems to work well.

Yeah, its really about trying what works for different piggies, I just do the lot. I think the frozen bottles aren't working but yesterday, it was clear they had been near them.

My Iola certainly liked cooling down her head with a wrapped freezer bloc... :)

I also did throw the kitchen sink at mine, especially as I currently have got seven older/frail piggies. The problem is that it is not worth buying air conditioning when you only use it a couple of times in as many years! I usually place the frozen elements in the group dormitories just to help cool down the surrounding air or tuck them on the side of hideys.
DSCN1366_edited-1.jpg

My Iola certainly liked cooling down her head with a wrapped freezer bloc... :)

I also did throw the kitchen sink at mine, especially as I currently have got seven older/frail piggies. The problem is that it is not worth buying air conditioning when you only use it a couple of times in as many years! I usually place the frozen elements in the group dormitories just to help cool down the surrounding air or tuck them on the side of hideys.
View attachment 31188

she is beautiful :luv:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back