• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Need Advice For Rescued Pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButtonsMommy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I rescued a female guinea pig from an uncaring owner today. She is getting along great with our other guineas; however, she is filthy. Seriously caked in feces. Especially her feet. We tried giving her a bath and got quite a bit off but couldn't get the feet uncaked. Any suggestions? How often can I do just a water soak?

Hi and welcome. I'm not sure of the answer to your question but if it's just water and just the feet, I can't think why you couldn't do it daily so long as it isn't stressing her out.

I should think as well she will be fine just washing her feet once a day. Perhaps use a wet flannel and try and massage her feet so it loosens the faeces?
Well done for taking her on, sounds like she was in an awful position :(

Aw poor little mite. Dirty feet are a pet hate of mine. I'd agree with trying to soften it up with warm water and cotton wool or a flannel and giving a gentle wash. Just be careful that she might have very sore feet underneath the poo if it's been there a while. I wouldn't pull any off dry for fear it might damage the skin. She sounds lucky to have found some tlc at last.

Well done for taking her in; you may want to quarantine her and have her vet checked first. If she is already together with your other piggies, you will have to be aware that you may need to treat them all in case of mange mites or fungal.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/importance-of-quarantine.108034/

You can use a basin with a shallow hand/elbow warm water to stand her in to soak her feet; as it is only water, you can do so as much as needed; use a soft flanned to gently worke the caked dirt off. Some of it could actually be scabs rather than dirt.
Your vet may recommend a disinfecting salve in case the dirt has got into any cracks in the soles; foot infections (bumblefoot) are a common problem with guinea pigs that have been left to live in uncleaned surroundings and she may be sore underneath the dirt.

One tip, if it's stuck in the hair at all it might be worth gently trimming some of it out for her. Her hair will grown again but might help it stop getting tangled

Another quick thought, as well as scabs it could actually be Spurs on her feet. I remember when one of mine first developed Spurs I thought they had poo stuck to their feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back