• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

need advice - please read x

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazzyg1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone i have got 2 female guinea pigs, ive had them from 3 weeks so they are now 4 weeks and a bit! My question is, before i get them they were in with 2 adult females, one baby male same age as them and an older male about 9 -10 weeks old. Ive just read on the internet that guineas can get pregnant at 3 weeks and now I'm panicking! is there any chance the older male could have got one or both of them pregnant? also one of them bit me today and drew blood, I'm very carefull while handling and hadnt been holding her for long, i got piggies because i was told they rarely bite! how can i break this habit? i read pulling the hair on the back of the neck works (like thier mother would do) but thought that seemed a bit cruel?

Yes, they could be pregnant I think. If they are pregnant, that would explain why they don't want to be handled as they are very protective of their tummies if pregnant. The best thing to do is make sure they have lots of warm bedding and keep an eye on them. when my girl was pregnant she got huge around her waist. Just keep an eye, and post photos >< Because everyone loves photo's. xx

Yes they could be pregnant if they have been mixed with a boar,poor little mites their only babies themselves:(
As for biting you, ?dont know alot about preg sows but when our piggies were quite young they used to bite a little,we found this happenend when we first got them out of their hutch,we put it down to them being nervous as they dont do it now:) No doubt some senior more educated members might be able to give you some good advice when they read your thread,goodluck and hope all goes well,sue,x

Guinea pig sows can get pregnant from 4 weeks onwards and can be potential pregnant if they have been with a life boar after that.

Boars can reach sexual maturity from 3 weeks onwards and should be therefore separated at 3 weeks old to prevent in-breeding with mother and sisters.

In any case, your girls were separated before they were old enough to get pregnant, so you need not worry!

Here is the relevant link with the biological data:
http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
When to separate:
http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction_faq.html

Just a note on the pulling on the back of the hair, its a huge no-no, i witnessed someone i used to work with do this [*]only once [/*]to a pig & from then on it was terrified of being stroked. They dont have a 'scruff' like dogs do so it must hurt real bad & they dont understand why you've done it.

Someone on here might have some good advise on what to do but for now i would just advise putting the piggy back in the cage when it bites.

thanks everyone I'm glad they are too young to be preg! the lady i got them off had two pregnant sows which had a litter each, the older male was the remainder from the first sows litter and my 2 girls and thier brother were from the second sows litter. I feel bad that i got them at only three weeks but to be honest i was worried about them getting pregnant at a young age if i left them any longer as she hadnt done anything about seperating the males and females. When i collected my pigs the two older sows were pregnant again:( i realsie my pig probablt only bit because she is young (only 4 weeks). Yhe only thing is when i try to get them out they run around like crazy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back