Need advice please

Piggieweekweek

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have had my boys for about 3 wks now and in the last week peanut is starting to show some pretty strong dominance characteristics....he is constantly chasing gizmo round the cage he will not leave him alone,he guards the food bowls,the beds everything and wherever gizmo goes he chases him off.
There has not been any biting or humping involved yet
Will it escalate to biting?
Gizmo spends all his time sat on top of the house because peanut chases him out.
They have 2 food bowls, 2 hammocks,a fleece cuddle cup bed and the hidey under the plastic shelf that came with the cage.
Is he going through a teenage dominance faze that will pass or could this behaviour be permanent?
I feel bad for gizmo and I always think he is sad.
Could it be a space issue?the cage is big but probably not big enough,I am looking for a shed at the minute but until I find one they are going to be stuck getting on each others nerves for a bit longer😩
But peanut is starting yo strike me as a pig who would be happy on his own,but gizmo needs company he can bond with....they are certainly never going to be bonded together.
Thanks for reading and any advice welcome😊

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry things aren't going entirely smoothly for you. You mention cage size - how big is the cage you have?

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I would start be removing the plastic shelf. Only have hides with 2 exit doors. For now cardboard boxes with 2 holes cut in them will be ok and it will give the something to chew.
Make sure everything is spread out (eg food and water bowls) so one piggy can't guard them. ALso try lots of enrichment - scattering food, paper bags with hay and treats, etc to keep them busy and distracted.
The cage is below the minimum recommended size even for sows, so they really do need more space asap and this is likely to be the thing that gives them the greatest chance of settling together.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree with Swissgreys, boars need lots of space particularly during the teenage time. The minimum cage size is 120 x 60 for 2 and boars need more than that, at least 140 x 60 and 160 is better. I would take the shelf out, the exit on the underneath area is asking for fights as one can block the other in. C&C grids are excellent as you can fit cage size and shape to area available, I have one partly in a recess in my living room. Have a look here for some ideas to extend the cage you have.
Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages
Cage Size Guide

Piggieweekweek

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I thought about removing the shelf but it seems to be the only place that gizmo can go and lie down and peanut will leave him alone...for a bit anyway!
This cage isn't their permanent home I better get a jog on with buying my shed lol

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have had my boys for about 3 wks now and in the last week peanut is starting to show some pretty strong dominance characteristics....he is constantly chasing gizmo round the cage he will not leave him alone,he guards the food bowls,the beds everything and wherever gizmo goes he chases him off.
There has not been any biting or humping involved yet
Will it escalate to biting?
Gizmo spends all his time sat on top of the house because peanut chases him out.
They have 2 food bowls, 2 hammocks,a fleece cuddle cup bed and the hidey under the plastic shelf that came with the cage.
Is he going through a teenage dominance faze that will pass or could this behaviour be permanent?
I feel bad for gizmo and I always think he is sad.
Could it be a space issue?the cage is big but probably not big enough,I am looking for a shed at the minute but until I find one they are going to be stuck getting on each others nerves for a bit longer😩
But peanut is starting yo strike me as a pig who would be happy on his own,but gizmo needs company he can bond with....they are certainly never going to be bonded together.
Thanks for reading and any advice welcome😊
Hi and welcome

Please save up for a larger space; the cage is is too small. Can you attach a panel run to the cage so your boys have more space?
Follow the tips in this guide here re. adding space/moving your boys to new territory to minimise the risk of starting more dominance behaviour (chapter 3): A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Piggieweekweek

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi thanks no I have no more room to keep them at the min and I am getting a shed soon so they will have loads of space