• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Need closure

Bhargavi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here, sorry if I post this in the wrong place or section. My baby guinea pig Brownie (2 months old) died today.

Long story short, I suspected that my Guinea pigs had a cold so I forced my parents to take them to a vet; an unprofessional veterinary injected her with amoxicillin for a cold and as soon as I realized that it was toxic to guinea pigs I contacted an exotic vet and he gave us medicines that worked wonders.

After a one or two weeks Brownie started to squeal in pain while pooping, I thought that maybe it was because of dehydration so I syringe fed her some ORS through the night and she was better in the morning.

A few days later (this Sunday; 13 December 2020), she had been eating a lot of fruits (apples and papayas mainly) so she got diarrhea at night thus I decided not to give her any fruits or vegetables until the next day. I took care of her through the night and looked after her till 5 AM (Monday; 14 December 2020). She was all fine till 7:15 AM but at around 7:45 AM she flopped over to her side, unable to move.

At that I point I wasn't sure if she was gonna survive, I suspected dehydration so I syringe fed her ORS, banana puree and a paste of hay (we didn't have pellets at that time) and she was revived to health and was able to stand and eat on her own.

We took her to the vet and explained what had happened so he gave us some probiotics and a med to control the diarrhea, it didn't work really well and no improvements were seen till Wednesday (16 December 2020) so I decided to take a second opinion at night and I was suggested to give her 2 drops of Enterogermina liquid which worked wonders and gave quick results in curing the diarrhea.

She was fine till around 2 AM (17 December 2020) but got diarrhea again since I gave her 4 small pieces of green bell pepper so I gave her another drop of Entrogermina liquid. She was eating hay, pellets and drinking water and was active till 3:00 AM. I slept around 3:30 AM and she was okay till then as well but when I woke up at 4:00 AM to take a look at her she was flopped onto her side, not moving.

This had happened before so I again rushed to syringe feed her ORS and pellet puree
but the condition worsened this time, she was taking short breaths that kept on getting fainter with time. All the liquid and food was reaching her stomach but she was still loose and floppy, unable to bear the weight of her own body. She pooped and peed as I syringe fed her but there was no improvement. I gave up at 6:00 AM, there was no veterinary care available at that hour. I just held her close to myself and cried. She gave up at 6:15 AM, I saw her struggle. She slowly did a running action with her front paws when I syringe fed her. When she was dying she was gasping for air, she stretched out her limbs and drew them back to her body. After so much pain, she died.

I'm unable to figure out what caused her to die. I spent so many sleepless nights, taking care of her, rushing her to the vet when things went downhill but she still left me. I need some closure, it had only been 25 days since we had brought her to our home. I'm feeling guilty that it was me who wasn't able to take good care of her. Please help me.

I am sorry you have lost your piggy. It is always hard not to feel guilty when we lose a pet but you did your very best and took her to a vet several times. Sadly when very young animals get sick especially with gut problems, it can be very difficult for them to recover even with the very best treatment.

So sorry for your loss.
You have everything right in taking her to the vet as soon as you saw she was unwell.
You loved her and cared for her.

Feeling guilty is a normal part of grieving so be patient and gentle with yourself.
Holding you in my heart

I’m sorry you lost Brownie - you did all you could for her. Sometimes everything we do may not be enough. Don’t feel guilty but try to remember Brownie when she was well - read the guide as it will help 😞

I am sorry you have lost your piggy. It is always hard not to feel guilty when we lose a pet but you did your very best and took her to a vet several times. Sadly when very young animals get sick especially with gut problems, it can be very difficult for them to recover even with the very best treatment.
I saw her sneeze 5 times in a row the night before she died. The room she stays in is completely clean and there's no dust at all. Is it possible that she suddenly got pneumonia or a URI?

We can’t say what could have been wrong because we don’t know. It would merely be taking stabs in the dark. I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry you lost Brownie x Sometimes despite our very best efforts we loose them. Please don’t feel guilty and rack your brain with “what if’s” you did everything you could have done. Treasure your memories of her in happier times :hug:

Back