Need hay help!

Adelle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
My old girl crunchie used to have dental issues and was picky with hay, after several dentals and some new hay shopping we found a good balance. Her main hay became Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk as well as alfalfa king Timothy and oxbow orchard grass. She has a few other haha rotated in to keep her interest.

The main Timothy hay from the website above used to be a mix of soft and leafy aswell as stalky and seedheads and she loved it. However there current batch is very fine, long and stalky with less soft hay and seedheads- and crunchie isn't impressed! It is however luciously green as always. As she's not on palliative care for kidney failure, I really need to have hay she likes.

I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these hays, and what they are like as far as soft/stalky/leafy/seedheads content? I'm not looking for one that's similar to alfalfa king Timothy- I pay £50 for an 11kg bag of this and crunchie only eats the seedheads!

Screenshot_20190317-134418_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20190317-134325_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190317-134337_Chrome.jpg

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
While I can't comment on their Timothy hay, I have used Hay Boxes meadow hay and it was absolutely fantastic quality, they're also really nice people, I imagine if you sent them a message on Facebook or emailed them asking they would happily let you know before you buy any, they were more than happy to answer questions that I had :)

pig in the city

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I usually feed either alfalfa king Timothy hay or oxbow mix of Timothy hay and orchard grass. Sometimes they love one or the other, sometimes they turn their noses up at it. Both seem to have seed heads in.
I have tried dust free Hay Timothy hay which was ok, but expensive in small amounts.
I find smaller bags tend to be better quality than larger bags in all cases.
Hay experts will send you samples out of their hays l recently got some green oat forage from them which had loads of seed heads in and was lovely and green.