• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Need Help With Fleece And Hay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Le Rendu6

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hate hay getting stuck to my fleece, is there a way I can feed my pigs hay on a fleece bedding in the least messiest way! Thanks

@Poppy Le Rendu6 - arghh, same problem here! I would like to hear other's tips also!

What I have done is place a kitty litter tray on the top floor (kitchen area) that I fill with hay and a net on the side with hay stuffed in it. They like to burrow under the hay, sit in the box and poop and pee hence I have the net on side with clean, fresh hay. I had been figuring alternatives for hay options for my downstairs level and came up with a recycled box stuffed with hay (like a tree). I have a pee pad under it where the hay stays so I can remove it for vacuuming. My boys are so messy that each morning, I am left to clean up loads of poop and hay spread all over the cage.

I have my hay in a rack with a little tray underneath. that catches most of the spillage.

I use a litter tray filled with hay. Keeps it all in once place. The odd bit gets trampled but no where near as badly. :)

I use a litter tray filled with hay. Keeps it all in once place. The odd bit gets trampled but no where near as badly. :)
Same here. I also have a wooden hay rack but the bits that fall out don't really get trailed round the rest of the cage thankfully. I can pick the worst off myself.

I think it depends on the pigs sometimes! I have an upturned cardboard box with all the front cut out and fill it with hay for two boys and this is fine, hardly any overspill.

However, my other two, the asbo pigs, had their taken off them as they were wasting it too much, pulling it all out and peeing on it. So they now have a hay rack but they're still very messy, they just can't pull it all out as much!

I have used a corner litter tray too, new pigs didnt like it though. What about an enclosed cardboard box with a large hole in each end so they can go in and out? might find it fun too plus you can just through the boxes away and replace.

I think it depends on the pigs sometimes! I have an upturned cardboard box with all the front cut out and fill it with hay for two boys and this is fine, hardly any overspill.

However, my other two, the asbo pigs, had their taken off them as they were wasting it too much, pulling it all out and peeing on it. So they now have a hay rack but they're still very messy, they just can't pull it all out as much!

I have used a corner litter tray too, new pigs didnt like it though. What about an enclosed cardboard box with a large hole in each end so they can go in and out? might find it fun too plus you can just through the boxes away and replace.
Asbo pigs ha ha xx made me chuckle xx

I have my hay in a rack with a little tray underneath. that catches most of the spillage.
I have something similar and it keeps most of it off the ground, although I'm not currently using fleece. It's a hay rack with a food dish attached to the bottom that comes on two clips, so you can hang it on the side bars of the cage and keep it slightly off the ground.. which also helps with piggies who

I keep their hay in a large plastic tray with a puppy liner under the hay to soak up pee - they have to jump in to eat the hay, but stops the hay going on the fleece! Rarely get hay on the fleece now. :)

I've given up bothering. My boys are so messy that I have to hoover their cage in the morning when we get up and then again in the afternoon. I change their fleece every day too.

works well, and it gives them a bit of exercise having to jump in!
Could I ask how you fasten your doors up please? I was considering having a door opening so I could extend the top layer a bit further, but tried bulldog clips, but the ones that fitted the grill, i felt they popped open very easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back