• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Need help with Guinea Pig that I think might be having heart problems

Angelicat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to preface this by saying that my guinea pig Pluto was sick a year ago with URI and managed to recover.

Pluto has been sick again for over 2 months now and has seen 2 vets so far. When it first started, he wasn't eating and all that jazz, like a typical sick guinea pig. He was given Baytril and had been on it for 2 weeks with no results. I took him to another vet, who prescribed him with more Baytril, and Sufomet (sp?) as well, for 2 more weeks. He started looking better and was moving around and eating occassionally, but I noticed he wasn't a 100%, and still looked like he had labored breathing and wasn't moving much, with the occasion bad days where he needed to be force fed. My vet then took him off Baytril and had him continue the Sufomet with Clorophenicol this time, and he's been on them for about a month now.

While he does seem to be doing better than when this first started, he is clearly not 100% and it doesn't seem like the medication is making a difference. My vet told me he might have some sort of lung disease and that he wanted to recommend me another vet to try Nebulising him. I have spent a lot of money so far and unfortunately I can't continue to keep spending with no end in sight so I would like some directions as to what to do. I feel like the vets near me (I'm in Hawaii) are not very knowledgeable about guinea pigs in general.

So here are my questions-

1) Should I follow his advice and see this other vet? I care a lot about my guinea pig and want the best for him, but I just don't want to keep sending him to all these vets who don't know much about guinea pigs, and wasting the funds I have.

2) Could it be a heart problem? His only symptoms that I can notice is that he has very obvious labored breathing, makes a clicking noise with his breathing if you bring him up to your ear, and he sleeps a lot. I asked my vet this but he told me that heart medicine has a high chance to cause kidney failure so it's risky? Is there a medication I should ask my vet to put him on even though he's been on 3 different antibodies at this point with no real results?

3) Anyone know any good guinea pig vets on the island of Oahu? I have been to many places and I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, every day it scares me that it might be his last and I want to do as much as I can to help him, but I don't know what to do. Thank you.

Sorry to hear that your boy has been unwell for so long. I’ve had a quick look and can only see one recommended exotics vet in Hawaii.
Veterinarians: Hawaii - Guinea Lynx Records
I think you may just have to try and have him seen by the other vet even though you’re loathe to spend any more money. What did the vets suspect was wrong with him and what did they check for? What tests, if any, did they do?

I’ll tag @Wiebke @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns Please be patient as the members with experience are volunteers and have their piggies and lives outside of here to take care of. Hopefully you will get a better answer later.

Lastly, you need to start weighing him at the same time every day and adjust the syringe feeding according to whether he’s losing weight or not. If he’s not eating enough hay then he will be losing.

Hi thanks for tagging and responding. Both vets suspected URI, though my current vet told me last week that he think it's some sort of lung disease (didn't really specify what it is) and said that we would try another 2 weeks of sufomet/clorophenicol and see if there was improvement (this is after about a month of the medications), if not he was going to refer me to another vet.

I do weigh him every morning and feed him if needed, but he's been pretty good about needing to be fed in recent weeks.

Back