Need piggy adopting advice!

Piggie.doodles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I have seen this 2 year old guinea pig for sale on gumtree. The guinea pig Is only £1 and comes with a double story hutch and accessories the owner is giving them up becuase they are unable to look after him anymore. Also, the piggy isnt far from where I live. I really don’t know what to do because I really want to rescue this poor little piggy and I have enough space and supplies etc. The only thing is is that would he be ok with my two sows if he was neutered and how long would it take with the current situation- I wouldnt want him to be alone. I have two boars but I know that they might fight so I don’t think I would put them together. What do you think I should do? Thank you :)

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hello. Great you want to rescue this piggie.
Gumtree is know for unwanted animals etc. .I don't even look or want to at gumtree
You seem to be know about piggies and yes bonding can be a major problem. Pls read the fantastic advise on this forum etc.
Sorry I'm a bit vain. . Hope you find help etc.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Whether you take this piggy on is your choice but you do need to be aware that people who sell their piggies on such sites may not be as truthful as they seem. Be prepared for this piggy to have health issues - people can be economical with the truth and say they are healthy but in fact they may be being given up because expensive vet care is needed.

This piggy would need to be quarantined, in a separate room from your current piggies so as to not risk passing illnesses on, for two weeks. He would still have a vet check to ensure he is properly healthy. You can then move him to live in a separate and very secure cage but next to your sows so he has interaction through the cage bars to prevent loneliness. A boar can be very determined to escape and get in with sows. You can then look to book a neuter operation. He will then need to be kept in the separate cage but alongside, for a further six weeks after his neutering surgery to become infertile. After that, it then comes down to whether your sows will accept him - there is no guarantee. If they do then all well and good (provided your sows cage is big enough for three). If they dont, then he would need to be kept in that separate cage but found a new friend of his own.

Piggie.doodles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you so much this really helped :) I will attach pictures of the advert description:
It doesn’t really say anything about his health but I would probably get him checked up at the vet and go to see him first. I do have money saved up just in case I have to take one of my piggies to the vet :)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether they say anything about his health (or in fact what they say), sadly you have to be prepared that this may not be genuine. You'd still need to quarantine even if he does have a vet check. Hopefully it is just a case of a piggy needing a new home and he is from a lovely family but you never can tell.
You'll want to find out if he has ever been bonded with another piggy or whether he has been alone for all his life.
Are you able to manage with a sixth piggy (space, financially etc) if the girls do not accept him and then he needs his own new friend?
If so, and you are aware of the risks you could be going into, then you are fully prepared to take the decision!