• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neem Soap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgesHuman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I suspect my trio of boars have mites. I can't see anything and their fur is all intact, but they itch a lot. They've been through ivermectin but it's not been any good this time, and so we are going back to the vets in two weeks time. That's the closest appointment I could get.

In the meantime, I have heard neem can be very soothing for their skin. I haven't been able to get neem oil, but was able to pick some neem soap, so my plan is to gently massage their fur with this in their bath and lather them up, but is it safe? The soap is ayuurvedic and the ingredients are;
Sodium Palmate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerine, Sorbitol, Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Palm Kernel Acid, Cymbopogon Schoenathus Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Thanks.

I'm waiting for a health and illness guru to answer this as you need the right advice .

However, I am surprised that the closest appointment you can get isn't for another 2 weeks.

Have you thought about looking for another vet ?

Just realised that the soap has tea tree oil which I know is very dangerous for piggy wiggies, so I won't be using it. It's a lovely Indian soap, so will give it someone for Christmas instead!

Hello piggyowner, Thanks for your reply. The vets in my area are rubbish for treating guinea pigs. They're very rough at handling guinea pigs and I wouldn't trust them at all. The one I use is wonderful, probably hence the long wait!

We have also used Gorgeous Guineas stuff on lice and problem skin with great success :)

It is best to get a vet diagnosis but if fungal is confirmed the best product to use is Imaverol which is a dip. It is sold on Hyperdrug as Enilconazole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back