• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nelli has leukaemia/lymphoma

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We just got home from Nell’s vet appointment regarding a lump on her left shoulder. We were thinking it might be a cyst, or some other small mass. No. We just got the prognosis that Nelli almost definitely is in advanced stages of leukaemia/lymphoma. All of the lymph nodes in her body are severely inflamed. And there’s nothing we can do.
I’ve been crying all the way home. I still haven’t gotten over Benio’s death, so how am I meant to deal with another?

There’s no treatment, a few risky procedures to confirm the diagnosis, but mainly it’s just palliative care. I genuinely wasn’t expecting it - after her pyometra emergency surgery, I thought Nelli had a proper chance at life. but no. The vet predicts a few months of life left.

What can I do for her? How can I prepare myself? What signs should I look for?

It’s just not fair. She only just turned 3. She was neglected for the most part of her life, she’s gone through a very intense and risky surgery, and now she has cancer.
She’s most likely in some pain/discomfort, she’s running a bit of a fever and will soon start to deteriorate. For now, she has been given Metacam, and it’s just a waitin game.

I feel sick. I’m devastated. My heart hurts for her and for myself. I can’t even begin to process this.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
BIG HUGS

I am so sorry that you have been given the worst possible news and the one we always dread.

Your grieving process starts the moment you get the bad news and this is in fact the worst time apart from the loss itself, so be kind with yourself and seek support with the Blue Cross emailing pet bereavement service or phone line. Talking is the best thing you can do; don't be too ashamed or proud for claiming help to get you through this however short or long it takes.
We all reach our limits at some point, and help is out there for those who are clever enough to take it. I have done it myself when too much in my own life went wrong at the same time and I suffered a burnout. It has helped me through the worst of it and ultimately made me stronger. And I definitely know how 'grieving indigestion' feels when lose your piggies (and more often) quicker than you can process their loss. :(
Pet Bereavement and Pet Loss

Please set the clock to zero. See every extra day with Nelli as a special gift. Concentrate on creating a prescious special memory every day she is with you so whenever her time has come, you know you have made the best out of it for both Nelli and yourself. Love is not bound to time; you can fill a moment with a life time's worth - but you have to go and do it. Don't stare at the end but make every step along the way count and fill it with a positive memory; don't look ahead and concentrate fully on the now and the here.
Looking after a terminally ill piggy is a bitter-sweet time, but it is in your control just how bitter and how sweet you make it.
You will find that by living this time very consciously and by making it count, you are able to already process part of the grieving process as you go along and are not left with having to do all the homework afterwards on top of what you still have to digest. By just concentrating on the here and now, you will also find that you have the strength for Nelli's sake, and that you actually get back something very precious, the ultimate gift that is hidden in the sorrow - that time shared is only meaningful if we make it meaningful and fill it with love.
You may find my latest guide helpful, which I have written specifically for people in your situation: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

You also may find the enrichment guide helpful for new ideas and ways how you can fill the remaining time for Nelli and you with happy moments: Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

My thoughts are with you!

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m so sorry that you have received this news about Nelli, I will be keeping both you and Nelli in my thoughts❤

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m so sorry for your sad news about little Nelli, try make lots of happy times with her x Sending you big hugs too x

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m so sorry for the prognosis of Nelli :( I’ve lost two piggies now to lymphoma and one to a cancerous tumour :( All I can suggest is to spend as much time with her as you can, take lots of photos and make lots of memories.

I am thinking of you both x

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Hugest hugs to you. You’ve been given the news none of us ever wants to hear. But the good thing is Nelli doesn’t know what you do. Just try to make each day special, make lots of beautiful memories and treasure your time together. I’m so sorry xx

Reaction score
This is so horrible to hear my friend sister got leukemia and it rly is horrible and I can’t imagine a small animal having to go through that miracles can happen and she might live longer than the doctor has given her How ever try to make the most of the time you have with her as a special care does she live with another guinea pig if she doesn’t then it might make sense to downsize her enclosure a little bit make it really cozy and homey and possibly put in a heating pad hope this helps sending prayers 😔😔😔