• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nerdy pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Bombom prefers her cage rather than coming out to explore the house. I want her to have plenty of exercises, I dont want her to get obese! What should I do :(

Many piggies are afraid of unchartered open spaces. Try to put hides (from shoe boxes, draped old kitchen towels etc. in strategic places, about 1-2 ft apart and sprinkle lots of treats all over the place.

Expect that it may take a few times until Bombom will have the courage to really explore. You can also train her to come you the fence for a little treat. If you change the location, that helps to move her around.

Give her lots of encouragment and talk to her gently all the time.

Yes I did - I gave her her favorite chew ball, her toy, lotsa hay, I even let her dive in the hay bag to chew. But she gets so restless after just a while and makes some panicky noise :(

Many piggies are afraid of unchartered open spaces. Try to put hides (from shoe boxes, draped old kitchen towels etc. in strategic places, about 1-2 ft apart and sprinkle lots of treats all over the place.

Expect that it may take a few times until Bombom will have the courage to really explore. You can also train her to come you the fence for a little treat. If you change the location, that helps to move her around.

Give her lots of encouragment and talk to her gently all the time.

Thanks! Also, my flooring doesn't feel very cold but I'm not sure if it does to her. I read from books that they do not like cold floors. Is it true? Do I have to spread a large area of cloth on the floor so that its good for her feet?

does she live on her own?

she might be more willing to explore if she had a play mate (:

Yup she is living by herself for now, I got her for less than a month before I found out that its not good to keep her by herself. I've been trying to find piggies to be her friend but its either the piggies in the shelter being reserved, or those in the shop being expensive. I've also tried finding online but those were very fast sold out too..:(
I do not live in the UK by the way..if I did I wouldn't have to worry about her buddy :( :(

A cloth or cheap polyester bedspread or baby blanket will be ideal flooring!

Give Bombom a hide where she can hole up at first and then use it as a base for her explorations. That is how guinea pigs deal with new territory. And be patient. It is more difficult for a piggy on its own.

I am sure that you are continuing to look for a friend for her and hope that you will be successful soon!

My piggy was like this for a long time. When we got him out he use to jump back in his cage. Now its a struggle keeping him it :)) Just takes a bit if time

Thank goodness I asked - I thought only Bombom behaves like a nerd. :(|)

I have 2 piggies and only one of them really explores. Ted prefers to chill in his pigloo, but he is happy. I took him to the vet to check he was ok and she told me he is just a lazy guinea pig! That made me laugh :)) Like humans they have different personalities. Make sure there are plenty hidey holes and that your piggy can get in and out the cage without any problems. A nice warm floor like you have provided helps. Be patient, they like to feel safe so it can take a while :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back