• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

nervous and skittish pig - how to calm him down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Our newest pig Billy has been with us for 6 months and settling in very well. But although he's now happy to approach us to take food and be stroked, he's incredibly nervous and will bolt if someone coughs or even moves slightly, even if nowhere near the cage! they live in our main room so are around people and activity all the time, but even an unexpected noise from the TV can send him running for cover.

I'm worried that he may hurt himself, as we have a pen outside their cage for some more room, and he runs so quickly back to the cage that it seems inevitable he'll catch his leg or jump too hard.

Has anyone been able to calm down a jumpy pig?

Thanks in advance!

Tea towel

Are you saying that your are worried he will catch his legs in the cage ramp, well if so, I was also worried and I have always covered the open wire bars with a tea towel, draping it half in and half out of the cage, and a small cushion on the floor for him to land on before running out on to the floor.

This works a treat for me. Takes that worry away.

Good idea - we've used one of those small log tunnels (that they are now too big for) as a ramp at the moment, as it doesn't have big gaps like the cage ramp - but an old tea towel sounds like a good idea to make it a bit smoother! If only he'd just calm down and run normally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back