• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nervous guinea pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fudge seems to be getting more nervous not less :( Trying to catch him is really hard and I think causes him to be scared then when I have him out he's scrabbling to get out my hands and back into his home. Today he nipped me quite hard to show me he meant business I think. His cage is two tier and a week ago he was whizzing up and down, now he'll only stay down. In fact I put his veg bowl upstairs and he dragged it down! Another sign of his nervousness I think. He must be entering 'teens' I would think, we got him mid July at about 8 weeks old. Will he improve? Does anyone have any tips for handling? The more he seems unhappy the more I think twice about getting him out.

Kathryn xx

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with Fudge - they don't like to make it easy for us!

You must keep on trying to handle him. He will get worse if you stop. They do have a very 'teenage' stage and as you say it could be down to that.

Try to catch him quicly and firmly rather than letting him dash off around the cage and then when he is out wrap him in a fleecy blanket that is used just for him so it get's his scent on it. Talk to him a lot in and out of the cage so he begins to get used to your voice. I always give nervous pigs a treat of favourite veg after handling them so the learn to associate being out with a positive reward. Pigs are ruled by their stomachs after all!

I agree with Kate. Jovi was like that on the first day that I got him.

I've always talked loads to mine and I think that it helps a lot for them to get used to you and your voice. Also to handle them often. Don't be frightened or pull away when he nips you (I know that's hard), but I think it makes them worse if you show as well that you are wary of him.

Favourite food goes a long way too. Jovi is still warming to the idea of being hand fed, but will not shy away from me.

Hope all goes well Kathryn :)

Hi

I've had some of my pigs from birth and have handled them every day. They get loads of handling but they still don't make it easy so me to pick them up. I'm sure they see it as a challenge...ha ha you're not going to get me >:D little devils! Once in my arms they are fine. On their own that is if i try to hold more than one at a time they figget a lot more. Kathryn do persevere.

I agree with wrapping them in a blanket although I save old t towels for this as i find them the perfect size, then I walk round the garden chatting away to him, floo was like this when I first got him he would weeak madly but gradually he has calmed down and is now mummys little boy, he had a foot that needed dressings and anti biotics given so he had no choice but to let me get close to him, we are very close now, and is now called mummys little floosie lol, its just a matter of perseverance and lots of tender talking to, floo like all my 33 pigs know my voce and it appears they know my footsteps because they start the chorus off before i even open their shed doors, good luck

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try the blanket trick, at least it'll stop him scrabbling to get away so much. Do they make muzzles for piggies? (only joking). He does listen to me and come out squeaking for his veg, seems to know it's me rather than anyone else so it's a start.

Kathryn xx

I let all mine out, and when I have a newbie when the older ones come for parsley I totally ignore the new one and in the end inquistiveness gets the better of them! Before they know the'yre sitting in your lap waiting for the next bit of parlsey! Then I just gently talk to them and stroke their heads and gradually the get used to it. Another thing I find is if you don't get them out eveytime you go to the cage, talk to them and tickle them but don't make a grab for them! Its always a long process and I agree with trying not to pull away when they nip (even if there's blood pouring or a massive red lump appearing Lol! I know its hard!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back