• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nervous Guinea-Pigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm new here, I've been reading the site for a while and have found it incredibly useful so I thought I'd post for some help with my new guinea pigs.

I got two boys Gus and Milo (Milo is the one with black markings) last week. They're 14 weeks old so still fairly young but they seem very nervous around people. The lady I bought them from assured me they were used to being handled and they just needed to get used to me and they seem very happy generally so I don't disbelieve her.

Since I got them last week I've been letting them get used to their new home and trying to get them to take food from me by hand which Milo did yesterday! He's much braver than Gus. But when I stroke them or try to stroke them, no matter how slowly they jump a mile and run away. Everybody I've spoken to has suggested I handle them everyday to get them used to it but I'm reluctant to pick them up when they obviously don't want to be, not to mention it's a struggle as they're so quick! As soon as I get near to it they run away and I really don't want to chase them around the cage and traumatise them.

They seem happy enough and they are getting more confident, this morning I opened the doors and say by their cage and they happily ran around and ate their breakfast with me nearby, but I don't want to leave it too long before trying to get them used to being handled in case this makes it more difficult in the long run.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks xx

Hi there,

I had this too with 2 girls and they are only just coming around after 2 months..its been hours and hours of gentle talking ( hope no 1 hears me coochy cooing )

Don't worry about handling hun..i simply put my hand in and offered veg..let them have a sniff of hand everytime and then withdrew..so they got comfortable with my hand being around.

When i put the dust pan in to clean poops..cocoa went popcorning mental :)) she has a thing for the brush lol.

After around 2 weeks i then put in a tube or a cosy cup and coaxed them in...takes time but just keep repeating in the tube in the tube..then pick them up in that and let them come out of it on your lap at thier own pace...it all takes time hunny but you shall be rewarded.

I just hope you havent got a rascal like Cocoa...sooo naughty mallethead

I thought they would never let us stroke them...but they let us stroke them fully now while in there beds and they purrrr its so lovely after all the effort getting there.

Just love those critters xx

Thanks for your replies! It's very reassuring.

So I don't need to worry that they still won't let me stroke them? Shall I just keep trying each day and hope they eventually let me and stop running away?

They are getting much more confident, last night I spent about half an hour feeding them by hand! I was holding the lettuce and they were happily nibbling on it and making happy noises so that's really encouraging!

I really want to get them out in their run this weekend but I'm a bit worried that if I do I'll never get them back in their hutch because they don't like being handled yet. Any advice on this?

Here are some more tips on what you can do to settle your boys:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36239

Patience and persistence is key - let them get their bearings in their new surroundings and getting used to to being with humans. Most guinea pigs that are being sold haven't had much human contact, unlike rescue guinea pigs.

Hi, this all sounds very familiar! I've had exactly the same concerns. We got our first ever guineas just over 2 weeks ago, only 7-8 weeks old and incredibly nervous. For the first few days I barely managed to touch them, I did try picking Harvey up but he freaked and leapt out of my hand. After that I was so worried about them hurting themselves that I left them alone for a few more days. I was talking to them loads though, getting them used to me being there.

Then I read on here about lifting them out in something, so my husband managed to lift Bart out inside his tunnel (hand over one end and tipping it up gently). I also bought a couple of 'snuggle sacks' which they LOVE, and I can get them out in those, even Harvey who is Mr Nervous:). We're doing it just a little every day and they are definitely getting bolder. Not feeding from my hand yet though, will have to try that a bit more.

I can't help with the run question I'm afraid, we haven't got that far with ours yet:). Good luck!

Great advice about the tunnel! My boyfriend tried that last night but with no luck, they're just too fast and I didn't want them to get upset so we stopped and left them alone. Glad to hear it seems to be working for you though!

I'll persevere.

If anyone has any other tips I'd love to hear them. Thanks again!

Perseverance is definitely the key, it's getting easier every day to get them out, they're still so skittish but a few mins every day seems to be paying off. It's hard waiting for them to get more used to us, I'm very impatient! Plus my 9 year old is very keen to hold them but I don't think they're ready yet.

A guinea pig's natural instinct is to run as they are prey animals & it doesn't mean they don't wish to be held.
Having said that some don't like to be held & will make their feelings known by moving/grumbling whilst held on your knee, others will lay settled.

My pigs range from 8 months-3.5 years & they still run away to hide when i open the door except when i have veggies; then they will come take food from my hand.
One of my boys loves to have under his chin rubbed but only through the bars, once i open the door he's off. :))

Once out they're fine & will quite happily sit on the scales to be weighed.
To get them out i use my arm or one of their hideys or both to corner them, once they're stood in once place i can easily pick them up.

Well they seem to be doing better! My dad grabbed Gus last night which he didn't like but as soon as I had him on my lap he calmed down a lot and didn't try to escape. He wasn't comfortable enough to eat lettuce (his favourite) and I didn't hold him for long because I didn't want to upset him but it's definitely a start! My dad cuddled Milo at the same time and he didn't really struggle either but he did look panicked the whole time :( bless! Hopefully if I hold them a bit each day they'll get used to it a bit more :)

Thanks for all your help! xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back