Neuter or live on his own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first time on a forum but also the first time that I have had a problem regarding my guinea pigs. I really need some advice as to what to do for the best.
I've had a pair of male guinea pigs for two years. They were six months old when I had them. They have been perfectly happy together in that time but a week ago today, Squeak stopped eating. After three visits to the vets, antibiotics and hand feeding, he lost the fight and died on Thursday morning.

Bubble has been eating but as they are in the house with us, can't help but notice how quiet he is, no happy chitter chatter that I used to hear, or high pitched squeals when the kale is coming!

I took Bubble to a local rescue centre and he was put in with a 5 month old male who was quiet and shy. As out of Bubble and Squeak, Bubble was the more dominant male. The outcome was what can I say "Make love not war". There wasn't any fighting but Bubble repeatedly attempted to mate and show his dominance over the youngster. It was decided that their friendship wouldn't lead to a happy life together.

So, do I risk having my Bubble neutered and then pair him up with a girlie, or shower him with as much attention as I can give and leave him live alone.
What would be the better life for him?

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Humping is very normal in male-male pairings as long as there is no teeth chattering then its fine, normally the humping settles after a day or 2,

neutering is also a good idea my boars are neutered and each live with their own females.

It wouldnt be fair to keep him on his own.

pop a teddy in with him until you can sort out either a younger male aged 4-11wks old, or get him neutered then wait 6 weeks before pairing him with a sow, there is many rescues on here from your area that do boar dating, and they will find a suittable boar pairing for him x

Reaction score
You could try him with another boar. It;s feasible there was just a personality clash and he may well do better with another pig.
I think personally I'd consider the options with a sow, just so he had the company, but it's not something Ive been faced with so I dont know!
It;s first night for me and my new pairing for my lone piggy.. Theres a lot of showboating so far, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
I hope you find whats best for your piggy!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your loss.

Neutering is certainly an option, but you want to find an experienced vet to do the operation; it can make a difference in terms of recovery. Techniques have improved though and the success rate is a lot better now. A boar with one or two sows is definitely a happy boar and cross gender bonds are often very loving provided the boar has been accepted by the girl(s) - which is usually only an issue with older, dominant sows.

Otherwise I would try Bubbles with a younger boar (less than 3 months old). Humping is very normal and only a problem if it is incessant even after the first 2-3 days. The problem signs are usually aggression and a danger of fighting. Ideally, you want to "boar date" a few candidates, so you can go for the one that fits the bill best!

Best of luck!

Last edited:

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oohhhhhh why as my post on someone else's thread turned into a thread made by me?

this thread was posted by someone else asking if they should neuter their boar after its friend died, my reply was to either try with a younger boar or get it neutered, but for some reason the thread has now changed and it sez i made it, that is sooooo weird
:{:{:{:{

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry that was my fault, I must have moved the first post but not the rest.

That's the second time I've mucked up today, I blame the spammers mallethead

Reaction score
sorry to hear............

so sorry :0 to hear about your loss, i know how hard it would b if i lost 1 of my 3 piggies. if you r going to put your piggie with a girl then get him neuterd, it would b best 2 get him neuterd anyway incase you want 2 put him with a girl in months to come,:Ayociexp113::

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello Bettsy

Give me a ring and we can give Bubble another chance at boar dating before taking the surgical route.

The Boar-Dating Service is a major part of the rescue and I have several potential companions, it all depends on the right mix of chemistry and personality.

http://guinearescue.blogspot.com/2011/02/bds.html

Suzy x

CPHill

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. I have a week old boar looking for a forever home if * r interested. He is black and White, so cute and hate to rehome but obviously can't stay with mum and sister and not got room for separate cage.

Claire

Status
Not open for further replies.