Neutered Male...pregnant Female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lila&Kai

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought 2 guinea pigs a week ago being told they were both female but actually one is male. We are having the male neutered in a few days but the female has a fat belly so I suspect she was already pregnant although the vet couldn't tell for sure tonight. If he is neutered and she gives birth can he stay in the cage?

I am in the UK. Thanks

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. You need to keep a neutered male apart from females for a number of weeks after the neutering. There are threads in the pregnancy section worth reading too which will help with whether you can keep a neutered male in with a sow when she's had her babies. I have tagged @Wiebke for you who knows a lot about neutering and about pregnancies.

Lila&Kai

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. You need to keep a neutered male apart from females for a number of weeks after the neutering. There are threads in the pregnancy section worth reading too which will help with whether you can keep a neutered male in with a sow when she's had her babies. I have tagged @Wiebke for you who knows a lot about neutering and about pregnancies.
thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.