• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering happening today

Darcey15

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ah I'm a little apprehensive about my boy today. I dropped Gregory off this morning at the vets for his neutering operation. He has become very calm lately and was very popular in the waiting room. One lady said she'd never seen such a chilled out guinea pig. He's not normally that calm so maybe he knew.....So he's there all day and I collect him after 5pm. I feel awful putting him through pain but I know once I am able to (after 6 weeks) he will be joined by 3 or 4 female piggies and his social life will improve vastly after losing Domino recently.
I know its a routine op but I still feel bad for hurting him. Hopefully it will all go okay!

Thanks 👍 made him a cosy bed in the front room so I can keep an eye on him.
Thats good. My boar was sleepy for around 4 or 5 hours and then just started eating hay as normal. You should get a post op check in with the price

Ah I'm a little apprehensive about my boy today. I dropped Gregory off this morning at the vets for his neutering operation. He has become very calm lately and was very popular in the waiting room. One lady said she'd never seen such a chilled out guinea pig. He's not normally that calm so maybe he knew.....So he's there all day and I collect him after 5pm. I feel awful putting him through pain but I know once I am able to (after 6 weeks) he will be joined by 3 or 4 female piggies and his social life will improve vastly after losing Domino recently.
I know its a routine op but I still feel bad for hurting him. Hopefully it will all go okay!

All the best! The wait is always the worst part of an operation because whatever happens it usually can't be any worse than your inevitable mind games. If you feel too overwhelmed by your emotions, try to collect the energy in them and send it in the form of prayers or healing thoughts to him, depending on whether you are religious or not. It works either way. ;)

Just wait until your boy is living with a sow, and you will know that you have done the right thing in order to give him the happiest of boar lives. Ideally when your boy comes home, he should behave as if nothing untoward has happened.

Here are post-op care tips and information:
Tips For Post-operative Care
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths And Facts

Thanks for all of your kind words and info today its really helped and I am certain he will thank me in the long run when the girls arrive on the scene. I collected Gregory at 5pm and the vet said he was amazing. He was eating away not long after and polished off the carrots & parsley I'd sent with him. He's been very sullen since though, prob the anaesthetic wearing off. I've made up a nice soft fleece bed for him & I've not seen him move from it. Just had a peek at him and if looked at me sideways.....I'm not sure after losing your nuts that parsley really cuts the mustard 😂 he'll associate parsley with that forever more! I'll leave him be and he can have more pain relief in the morning. I'm sure he'll be popcorning again in no time. Thanks again all 💙 xx

Ah, so glad Gregory is through the worst and makes a speedy recovery x
Thankyou! He seems ok. Still subdued & not moved very much from the fleece but I checked him over when giving him his meds and the wound (I assume there are 2!) Is very neat and smaller than I expected. As he's almost black underneath it was hard to see plus he's got long hair round his rear end! I was expecting a swolen shaved area but nothing of the sort. He is pooing loads, looks normal & he's eating, not loads but cucumber, carrot & some dandilion leaves. I reckon he's doing fine.

On a separate note I rescued a bird tonight. Poor thing was sitting in the road about to be squished by my car so I stopped & approached very gently. His leg looked a bit deformed & he looked like a young starling. He let me pick him up & he hopped off, sat looling at me for a bit and flew off...his mum came swooping down to be with him so I think he's ok. Not keen on touching birds especially babies as my scent might make them be rejected but it was either that or get squashed. My good deed for the day 😊...back to nursing piggies!

Back