• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Neutering Or Spaying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I apologise if this thread is in the wrong section. I really want to get a boar for my two female piggies but I wondered if spaying the females or neutering the male would be best? What size cage would they need?
Thanks,

Last edited:
Spaying is a much more invasive and expensive operation that is generally only performed for medical reasons.

There are rescues with already neutered boars which allow you to bring your girls so they can be bonded under expert supervision, saving you all the headaches. :)
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Thanks, a lot @Wiebke!

Not all rescues have a boar neutering policy or boars ready, so you may have to ring around or wait a bit, but is worth it!

PS: 3 guinea pigs need a minimum of 2x5ft or 2x4 C&C grid cage as per RSPCA minimum recommendations, but we recommend a 2x5 C&C grid cage or 2x6 ft space.

I always say get the biggest accommodation you can, if possible. Guinea pigs need space to exercise those little legs and enjoy exploring and playing with each other. To be honest, quite often, they are far more interesting to watch than the TV

I quite agree about the TV! There's so much rubbish on these days. I switch my TV off at 8 pm and go and sit with my piggies. What with the days getting dark so early, it gives them more "daylight" time to play in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back