• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering?

Stephanie 784

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Has anyone had a male neutered? Mine is going to be on September 1st and I was just wondering what to expect? And if I needed anything for him after to aid I recovery?

Attachments

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Neutering a male is usually very straightforward with a good vet and a healthy piggy, he might be a bit sleepy and off his food for 24 hours afterwards in which case you could buy in some critical care or science selective recovery food and 1ml syringes if you wanted to be super prepared to support his eating if that happens- by 3 days post op he should have forgotten that anything happened :)
The key thing is to keep him separate from any ladies for a full 6 weeks post op until any viable stored sperm are gone, though he can meet ladies with a very secure cage barrier in between to get to know them by sniffing and chatting.
Will he be getting lady friends after his operation and 6 week post op wait?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a male neutered? Mine is going to be on September 1st and I was just wondering what to expect? And if I needed anything for him after to aid I recovery?
Hi and welcome

Our neutering guide is very comprehensive and should answer your questions both in how a perfect recovery should run as well as in terms of the more common post-neutering complications and the length of the necessary the safety wait.
You can find this further link in our post op care guide; it deals with general aspects of post-op care.

It is worth bookmarking both guides so you have them handy just in case.

All the best!