• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering!

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
Teddy is getting neutered in around two weeks. I have never experienced this before, so I’m not sure what to expect. Do I have to do something before surgery? What will happen after surgery? My rescue recommended the vets to us. Will he be off his food for a couple of days? Sorry, I just don’t know what to expect. If anyone can give me information, that’d be great!

Hopefully he’ll get a sow in November :yahoo:

You don’t need to do anything before surgery. Feed him as normal on the day of surgery, send him with some hay and nice snacks to tempt him to eat after surgery.
After surgery, the aim is to get them eating as soon as they come round from anaesthetic so in theory no he shouldn’t be off his food but having syringes in stock at home and being at the ready to syringe feed (mushed up pellets is fine) is a good idea. He may be quiet for a few hours afterwards but most vets will make sure they are up and about and pooping and eating before letting them come home. Keep him on newspaper or vetbed (not hay or shavings etc) for a few days/week after surgery so that there is nothing to cause injury to the area. He will need to be kept indoors for a couple of days though following surgery, he won’t be able to stay outside in his hutch as they need to be kept warm following anaesthetic

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

My 7yr rabbit had surgery for a tumour yesterday and he came home full of beans, behaving totally normally and eating everything in sight (he has to stay indoors for a minimum of 24 hours) so hopefully Teddy will be the same!

Last edited:
You don’t need to do anything before surgery. Feed him as normal on the day of surgery, send him with some hay and nice snacks to tempt him to eat after surgery.
After surgery, the aim is to get them eating as soon as they come round from anaesthetic so in theory no he shouldn’t be off his food but having syringes in stock at home and being at the ready to syringe feed (mushed up pellets is fine) is a good idea. He may be quiet for a few hours afterwards but most vets will make sure they are up and about and pooping and eating before letting them come home. Keep him on newspaper or vetbed (not hay or shavings etc) for a few days/week after surgery so that there is nothing to cause injury to the area. He will need to be kept indoors for a couple of days though following surgery, he won’t be able to stay outside in his hutch as they need to be kept warm following anaesthetic

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

My 7yr rabbit had surgery for a tumour yesterday and he came home full of beans, behaving totally normally and eating everything in sight (he has to stay indoors for a minimum of 24 hours) so hopefully Teddy will be the same!
Thank you! Teddy is a fighter, so hopefully he’ll be okay. I have a couple of syringes if anything does happen. Because it’s getting colder, would it be okay to keep him inside then put him back out in his hutch after he’s okay to? Also, is he able to go onto fleece? Sorry, I’m bursting with questions. I have a run that is easy to set up and is secure so that’ll be okay to use and I’ll use hay racks! Thank you for replying and I’m happy to hear that your rabbit recovered well! :)

Thank you! Teddy is a fighter, so hopefully he’ll be okay. I have a couple of syringes if anything does happen. Because it’s getting colder, would it be okay to keep him inside then put him back out in his hutch after he’s okay to? Also, is he able to go onto fleece? Sorry, I’m bursting with questions. I have a run that is easy to set up and is secure so that’ll be okay to use and I’ll use hay racks! Thank you for replying and I’m happy to hear that your rabbit recovered well! :)

He should be fine to go in fleece and go back out as it’s still mild but choose a warm day and make sure he doesn’t get too hot whilst indoors

Yes it should be ok, it’s not desperately cold yet but I would pick a warm day before putting him back out.
Fleece is fine, you just don’t want to use anything disposable which could stick to or irritate the wound.

He should be fine to go in fleece and go back out as it’s still mild but choose a warm day and make sure he doesn’t get too hot whilst indoors
Thank you! I’m excited to bring him inside! Let’s hope we don’t have bad weather that week, haha.

Back