• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Neutering

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbowstarsx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just wondering, is £43 cheap for neutering a boar?

What is the age this usually should be done etc?

I have been told 51 by the vets i am going 2 use.

It cost me £53 today to have Hector neutered. This included a pre op check the day before and a post op check after 2 days and 10 days.

I have been quoted £55. Vets said ok from about 3 months providing they've matured. Ive booked Blacky in at 14 weeks.

Mine cost £50 to get neutered too. The least I was quoted was £31.50 (but I was told that the surgery had never had a pig in for neutering...so that one was rapidly crossed off the list) and the highest I was quoted was £93!
I think a lot of people recommend that the boar is left until 6 months of age, Archie was 5 months when I got him done. Usually the vet will check that the testicles have "dropped" and that the pig is heavy enough (I heard 650g at least).

HTH

Mine charges £49 forgot to ask if that includes any post op stuff , meds etc :(

I've worked in a lot of vet surgeries (around 15) - I've never known there to be additional charges for the pre and post op checks. Also there shouldnt be any need for additional medication after a castrate either, but if additional meds are needed for any reason, this would be an extra charge

i paid £44.50 a few weeks ago for my little boy to be done. my vets wouldnt touch him until he was 5 months old but they prefer to wait until; they are 6 months old, it all depends on the vet.

When a vet neuters depends on the physical development, weight and general health. Most vets will operate somewhere between 4-6 months of age, the upper end being more frequent. All boars have to pass a pre-op check.

Ah okay, thanks for all the replies :)

I'm thinking of maybe getting Damon done, as he's just coming upto 7 months, and I'd like to get him a little girly or something, so he isn't on his own for too long.

Have to see :) he seems great on his own at the mo anyway, having a right old time with all the attention he's getting :D!

Mine cost me £70 but the vet was really good, included pre-post op checks and a painkiller injection at the end of the op for when he came round.

Seems that £43 is actually cheap then, compared to some!
I'm not sure what this includes, I just asked the receptionist while my dog was having her op :)

I'm going to get bumble done. When I picked him up today to put in his run, I noticed hes got a huge pair of *******. He was born on jan 23rd, so not long me thinks. I shall enquire at the vets to see how much they charge here.

I'm going to get bumble done. When I picked him up today to put in his run, I noticed hes got a huge pair of *******. He was born on jan 23rd, so not long me thinks. I shall enquire at the vets to see how much they charge here.

This made me chuckle :)) It's like that with my Casey when he turns his back on me I end up thinking 'Good grief! How do you walk?!' Then hoping he turns around again soon :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back