• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

neutering

Status
Not open for further replies.

amywithpiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm considering getting Casey and Valentino neutered so they can hopefully be bonded with Poppy and Florence. Does this idea sound plausable? Can my boys be kept together after their op?

You can only have one sow and one boar together if they get on now, and are living together. Then is it not best to leave them living together?

sounds like a great plan. they should be fine together after the op keep each other company til their 6 week post op wait is over :)

Also neutering is high risk and should be thought through. A vet recently told me that in a recent research 70% of guinea pigs died due to anaesthetic complications xx

Do you mean that you want to keep all four together? Or one boy and one girl, and the other boy with the other girl?

If you had all four together, then the boys probably would fight over the girls, even after being neutered.

If you keep each boy with one girl, then that should work.

If your boys already get along and live together, then I'd just leave them together away from the girls, instead of risking the op.

It is relatively safe, but it's still risky, compared to a cat or dog being neutered, so it should be kinda a last resort if they don't have anyone else to live with and have to live with girls. :)

my piggie vet has never lost a piggie through aneasthetic 70% does seem high? i think it is a good idea because if you want to get more piggies later you have the herds already in place! :(|) obviously there are risks but a boy girl bonding is the most stable pairing though. how old are the boys? if they are relatively young there is still the chance that they may fall out with hormones so you may end up doing it anyway but obviously there are risks with any op. if you are happy with just the 4 then leave it at that i am sure they will be happy either way :)

I'm getting my travis neutered hopefully on thursday. was told the risks, but it was pretty low at my vets. I want to eventually get down to one herd instead of always having to have 4 pairs of boys. I'm considering getting all the boys neutered apart from stevie, who is getting on now.. will let you know how it goes. x

(ps if you have 2 happy pairs then i wouldnt risk it personally)

Also neutering is high risk and should be thought through. A vet recently told me that in a recent research 70% of guinea pigs died due to anaesthetic complications xx

I suggest you find a new vet...if we went by those stats, I would only have one boy left, not three!

Like most ops, the risk is lower the more competent the vet.

I used 2 diFferent vets for both neutering, my first boy died due to post op infection my 2nd boy got a post op infection that I noticed at an early stage and was able to save him, the 2nd vet was recommended to me by a local guinea pig rescue, I have learnt through experience that neutering is high risk and i would not be keen to do it again, I would rather adopt a neutered boar, I would advise very very close supervision post op. I have still not forgiven myself for the death of my guinea pig, he was a beautiful and friendly boy and I would rather have him alive and single as he was then dead.

Where did that vet get his numbers from? If you read through the forum threads you will find that most boys actually survive their ops ajust fine and that the majority has no complications later.

It helps finding the best vet possible; I agree on that. I am sorry that you are having problems with your second boy after losing Jacob before. Possible post op complications are something that needs to be taken into consideration, though; they can happen weeks after the op.

Hi wiebke the Regent vet at Upper York Street was where I got the statistic, when I took Yorkie in for his final check up the vet told me about a research they took part in, I have no idea how many animals they used for the whole research but I know that it needs to be high numbers for the research to be valid, so it may not even be a valid project. I just wanted to stress through my own experience that the decision to neuter should not be taken lightly and should be researched and prepared for. I thought I had done all this when I had Jacob neutered but obviously I was not prepared enough and was too late to save him, his death was the reason that I managed to save Yorkie (who has completely recovered now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back