Never Ever Buy A Pet Store Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAurora

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought a 2ft by 5ft pet shop cage and Casran and Jemima have a nice lot of room in that. They also have a 2ft by 5ft hutch and two runs - a small travel run and a large garden run which I think if 5ft square. In the summer there will be lots of variety for them.

Huey Ling Tan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So true! I decided to get a bigger cage which description says it is for 2 rabbits. No way Huge improvement in Digger's behaviour. First time I have seen him "pop corning" especially when he gets his hay

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say never ever buy a pet shop cage, the key is to research and buy an appropriate cage. Pet shops do sell cages big enough for two piggies but also sell a lot of smaller ones too.

AuntyC

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can often find bigger cages online. I guess the stores themselves prefer to stack up and sell more of the smaller cages than make the room for larger ones! I love the Ferplast 140 as it had a lovely big access door that means you can reach all four corners to clean. For sheer space it is hard to beat a build your own C&C pen if you have lots of room.

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can often find bigger cages online. I guess the stores themselves prefer to stack up and sell more of the smaller cages than make the room for larger ones! I love the Ferplast 140 as it had a lovely big access door that means you can reach all four corners to clean. For sheer space it is hard to beat a build your own C&C pen if you have lots of room.
I also love the huge door at the front! I do like c&c cages but I also like how secure the ferplast 140 is. Nothing can get in or out unless you want it to. I have no other pets but the back door is often open and I am scared cats come in! Or if something was to fall from the wall mounted cupboard on to the cage! This has never happened but it's why I don't have a c&c at the moment!

AuntyC

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes, I have to be careful with neighbouring cats too! When the C&C is in use I have to make sure I close the inside door before opening the door to the garden. Currently using my Ferplast to wean baby boys and donated a couple to the centre where I volunteer for their bonded pairs to use.

CubbyWolf46

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Due to the lack of resources over here in Oz, we are limited on C&C cages. I really really wanted one but it's too expensive to have the grids shipped over and extremely hard to find a local source of grids. Trust me, I've looked all over and the grids are becoming harder and harder to find over here. So instead of using grids I made my cage from good old untreated pine, chicken wire and plywood for the flooring. Then I made a corflute base so it is pretty much an alternate to C&C. Should do for now although I am contemplating making a removable second level soon. I planned to do it originally but have been busy with other things. The cage all in all is 2.5ft x 5ft. So much space that when they came home for the first time they had no idea what to do with it!

I had fun with the staple gun hahaha.. bam!

Status
Not open for further replies.