New Arrivals - Ringworm

MrsFB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The new arrivals look like they have ringworm. Will take to vets tomorrow 🙁

Looks like she has rubbed it overnight as yesterday was a small patch above eye that was noticeable.

The other Guinea doesn’t look to have any patches but will assume will be infected as they have been together.

Attachments

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh no sorry! Hopefully with treatment it will recover quickly.

MrsFB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Will Hibiscrub be ok to clean things?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m not sure that would be effective. I’d buy some F10.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You need a vet grade disinfectant. Anything else I don’t think will be effective. I would also suggest your daughter stop handling them for now. It is transmissible to you.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’d use F10.
I buy it in concentrated form and make it up my own spray bottle. You can buy it ready to use but the concentrated form works out cheaper.
I use it to do a monthly deep clean.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The new arrivals look like they have ringworm. Will take to vets tomorrow 🙁

Looks like she has rubbed it overnight as yesterday was a small patch above eye that was noticeable.

The other Guinea doesn’t look to have any patches but will assume will be infected as they have been together.
Hi!

If the diagnosis comes back as ringworm, please follow the very detailed and comprehensive hygiene tips in our ringworm guide. In well over a decade we have had plenty of time to find all the potential ways highly contagious ringworm spores can be tramsitted the hard way; as well as how to deal most efficiently with the various angles. Our tips have got the advantage that they have stood the practical test of time to help you get over it once and for all.

Our guide also includes pictures on how an acute case of ringworm runs as it gets worse before it can get better. You can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop or breeder if you are within the time limit and have a written/printed vet diagnosis to back up your claims.

You can find the green links with the relevant information in the first answer in this thread.

All the best!

MrsFB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
You need a vet grade disinfectant. Anything else I don’t think will be effective. I would also suggest your daughter stop handling them for now. It is transmissible to you.
Yes we’ve already explained to her she isn’t to touch them at the moment :( Thanks everyone for their replies x

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree. Treat them as if they have ringworm unless and until a vet tells you otherwise. That means taking protective measures for you and your family as this is one nasty condition that can transfer to humans, deep cleaning with a vet grade disinfectant (F10) and getting the correct treatment for the girls from the vet.
Please also inform the woman who bred them that she has a ringworm infestation. She needs to be aware and take steps. Sadly this is not uncommon with backyard breeders.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I should add that a FB acquaintance recently showed photos of their own ringworm infestation - on human hands, arms, face, neck and chest from handling piggies from a neglect situation. That’s why in rescues we always wear gloves, long sleeves etc with new arrivals.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hope the ringworm clears up quickly for you.
I buy F10 from Amazon - it always arrives very quickly

MrsFB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All,

Vet can’t see the girls until Thursday. Is there anything I can do in the meantime for them?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi All,

Vet can’t see the girls until Thursday. Is there anything I can do in the meantime for them?
Only practising good hygiene so you can inadvertently spread it,
It requires prescribed treatment so don’t put anything on it until a vet has given you the appropriate treatment as you can mask symptoms and make it harder for the vet to diagnose etc.
I would call the vet again tomorrow and see if they had any cancellations

Hannylou

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I hope you get it sorted too. I bought my boy some guinea pigs for his birthday and he was over the moon. I noticed a bald patch on one of the girls heads about 2 weeks after having them , glad I got it checked out as vet was extremely concerned as biscuit was only 7/8 weeks old. She sent off samples to the fungal lab and they have now come back positive. Vet can't confirm where it's come from but all my bedding / cage/ GPs/ food etc was all from the same place. I gave the shop a curtsey call and they wouldn't take my word on it.These beautiful GPs have cost me a fortune in just over a month. Back to the vets to check them both over again on Monday , snowy seems fine ( at the moment ) I have also separated them and I clean biscuit out regularly.
( Don't know how to add pics )

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I hope you get it sorted too. I bought my boy some guinea pigs for his birthday and he was over the moon. I noticed a bald patch on one of the girls heads about 2 weeks after having them , glad I got it checked out as vet was extremely concerned as biscuit was only 7/8 weeks old. She sent off samples to the fungal lab and they have now come back positive. Vet can't confirm where it's come from but all my bedding / cage/ GPs/ food etc was all from the same place. I gave the shop a curtsey call and they wouldn't take my word on it.These beautiful GPs have cost me a fortune in just over a month. Back to the vets to check them both over again on Monday , snowy seems fine ( at the moment ) I have also separated them and I clean biscuit out regularly.
( Don't know how to add pics )
It’s always better to start your own thread otherwise it can be missed. It’s not a good idea to separate piggies when ill. The bond can be broken doing this so if recommend you re-introduce them (on neutral territory).
It may be they got it from the other piggies in shop or where they were before getting to the shop.