• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New baby boar urine issues

weepweeps

Senior Guinea Pig
Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hello I have a new baby boar (8 weeks) who is a companion to another older boar (approx 30 weeks) whos cage mate passed away recently (not sure of what). Neither piggies drink but they do have lots of fresh veggies twice each day. I’m worried about the younger boars urine colour. It’s milky when produced but dries to a very dark brown colour. The older boars urine doesn’t do this. Should I be worried? They both seem very happy together and eat, wee and poop a lot. Many thanks for any responses.

Hello I have a new baby boar (8 weeks) who is a companion to another older boar (approx 30 weeks) whos cage mate passed away recently (not sure of what). Neither piggies drink but they do have lots of fresh veggies twice each day. I’m worried about the younger boars urine colour. It’s milky when produced but dries to a very dark brown colour. The older boars urine doesn’t do this. Should I be worried? They both seem very happy together and eat, wee and poop a lot. Many thanks for any responses.
When urine oxidises, it turns the dark brown colour.
In terms of water, have u tried offering a bottle of water and a bowl perhaps in the cage?

Wow. Thank you for such a quick response. That has put my mind at rest. I’m a bit more stressed with the new piggy as we lost one recently and didn’t know why. They have two bottles and a bowl of water. They are just not interested. The newspaper and wood shavings are always wet so I’m trusting they are drinking enough

They get rid of extra/unneeded calcium through their wee. As long as it’s not grainy you’re fine. Make sure to filter their water, and also keep pellets limited to one tablespoon a day for each piggy. Water and pellets are the biggest contributors to calcium in their diet. Also beware of regularly feeding (more than once a week) veg too high in calcium - kale, spinach.

They will drink as much as they need. Remember there is water in veg as well. Have a read of the feeding guide I’ve linked below.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Thank you. I will have a look and the feeding guides but they do have spinach and kale a lot. Will definitely cut down on those.

So my youngest piggy who is now 18 weeks still has darker urine than my older piggy (40 weeks). I thought by now it would be lighter. He’s so happy in himself, eating and putting on LOTS of weight 😀. Should I be worried? Or should I let it go? I am a bit of a worrier. 😕. I’ve attached a photo for comparison. AA1BDBAF-1DB5-4B3B-A811-2DABE2D85D4F.jpeg

Thank you.

Same here. I actually took my boar to the vet because his urine seemed orangey-brown and it was only when he (eventually!) produced a sample in the washing up bowl that I saw it wasn't that colour 'fresh'... it got darker as the air got to it and much darker overnight in the fridge. His sample was tested and was totally fine.

He had no other signs of urine infection but I was a bit sensitive as he had been treated for urine infection about a month before and at that point he had all the symptoms: wet tum from dribbling, hunched posture when peeing, little squeaks of pain etc. If your little boar is happy he's just a technicolour pee-er!

Back