• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New baby's eye isn't looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgesHuman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I brought my new 6 week old piglet, Elliot, home on Sunday and as soon as I got him home I noticed he had, what looked like, some sleep in his eye and his eye wasn't as wide open as his other one, so I gently wiped it away with a damp cotton wool. This morning I woke up and looked in at him, and there it is again, lots of crusty sleep round his eye again. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, and is very active and vocal. He made my heart melt when he squealed when he heard me pouring the pig mix into George's bowl this morning! Also, I saw him popcorn yesterday. He's sooo tiny and full of cuteness but i'm worried about his eye.

Also, George had a sniff around where Elliot's cage was yesterday and the piggies were talking to each other and i'm worried it might be infectious, and my darling George might get it too.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It may be nothing, it may be the start of an infection. You are worried & therefore i would take him to a vet just to make sure everything is ok. :)

GeorgesHuman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello Niki,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't get back earlier - I don't have the internet at home.

I took Elliot to the vet the day I wrote my original post and he was diagnosed with an infection in his eye. He was prescribed Fucithalmic Vet eye drops which he has been on for 4 days now and until this morning, it seemed just as bad as ever, the same green crusts round his eye and his eye almost shut, but this morning his eye was open more than usual and it only had a tiny bit of crustiness on it, so i'm hoping that soon my little piggie will be better and we can start enjoying life with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.