New but returning owner of piggy sows

Elsafrozearendelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Got my 2 precious piggies today. They are crested breed, one is white and the other is a light browny colour. The white one reminded me of snow instantly. And I was chatting ages and they even said lol Anna and Elsa would be good names. I didn’t even plan to settle on these obvious names even though I am also made about frozen. I work at home and am alone I’ve been so mad out of my mind and been wanting to get guinea again for months but today they are finally here.

as expected they are so shy. Anna was quite vocal when first saw her(light brown) Elsa was so shy she was buried deep deep in hay. They are home and the hay for transport moved all to cage for scent as well as most of the box. They have tucked themselves right under the hay and flap at bottom of box. Think it will take them a bit before they explore. Now it’s very quiet where I am. The water isfresh and there’s more hay than I have ever seen.
The most nervous I get is the water. The bottle I tested I just hope they start to drink. Going to put some cucumber in one of their new bowls before my dinner and that will be their dinner time so they can get use to it. So they may be brave to eat the veg and I know they get water from that.

I won’t be able to post photos at the moment. They are hiding and no movement I know the ride home must have been traumatic for them.
Here is to the next 5-6-7/8 years of love. They’re about 10 weeks and baby piggies are just so adorable! I’m glad they have each other for now.
If there is anything more I should do am just going through all my material. Thought I’d say hi on forum too. It’s a funny feeling I feel this love inside me for these 2. A feeling I haven’t had for a long time

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:wel: to the forum!
Can’t wait to see pigtures when Elsa and Anna are settled in❤

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:wel: It’s all so exciting when your piggies come home! I would advise you to cover part of their cage so they feel safer. Also put in another hide so they have two. Not all like to cuddle up.

I would put the veg near them for now, and choose depending on whether they’ve been given veg where they were.

If you didn’t get them from a ‘reputable’ rescue I would double check their sex and also book them in for a health check soon.

Remember to weigh them weekly as part of their lifelong health monitoring. And give them lots and LOTS of hay. I’ll link to some guides for you to read through below. Once they’re settled we would love to see some pigtures 😍
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Elsafrozearendelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you. There is a lot of info on this forum. I e also been watching a ton of YouTube videos. Mostly LA guinepig rescue.
I’ll take a look at the guides too. Did Checked their bits but will be double triple checking as advised and read through. I don’t want to handle them for a while to get them settled. I can hear movement or it might just be the munching of hay. Got some nice Timothy hay for them to keep munching on. Have a few homes in the habitat so they can move separate if they decide they need space from each other.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
There are lots of videos out there. I would just say to be careful about what you take from them. I would check them now to be honest. Then give them the rest of the week to settle in.

Enjoy them :D

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to the pictures when they’re settled

Shelley anne

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Looking forward to some pictures when they have settled in to their new home.

Elsafrozearendelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The cucumber was enjoyed tonight. Listening from a distance it was about 3 minutes before I heard one go in. I heard one piggy making noises, hard to describe as not wheekibg but as she moving like a low squeak like she was talking or do do do do but Guinea like. Think was getting a bit of exercises too

Elsafrozearendelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I did gender check this morning an examined both more. Definitely both are sows. Anna is more vocal making piggy noises as she explores, there was even a louder excited noise when I was putting in fresh hay. She has been at the water bottle a lot already and the level has dropped so that’s good.

Elsa (white pig) is definitely shy,she hasn’t made a sound. Even when I picked her up she was quiet and let me check her, didn’t move so didn’t handle either long as I know she would be scared. Neither struggled when adding back to cage so that seemed good. Right now they are enjoying some pellets.

They favor going to their carrier box that’s a temporary bed/house for familiar smells. Managed to get a couple pictures. No more for a while it’s settle time

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sounds good. Give them a week to settle in. You can clean them out but don’t pick them up. Remember pellets should be a tablespoon each. If they’re under four months you can give them two tablespoons each a day, but it’s not compulsory. Avoid any that are alfalfa as they don’t need them anymore.

Enjoy the sounds. Two of mine don’t wheek 😉

Elsafrozearendelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The girls seem to be settling in. It may have only been 2 days but it feels like have had them longer already. Anna (brown sow) showing her personality Can see she loves her food and water and a hidey I made out of cardboard instead of going inside she likes to climb on top and relax there. I can see them from afar where I sit and I’ve observed her self clean/eat hay and even some of the cardboard. It’s only been 2 days so don’t want to get ahead of myself but am happy how she seems to be. I even got a black bin after out to sort some rubbish last night and she wheeked a few times. Maybe she thought she was going to get more food!

Happy too with her sister, more timid and spends more time in her house. I observed her with veggies last night. Both enjoyed the bowl I put out, Elsa would go to bowl take a piece and immediately take it back to her hidey to eat.
Anna makes those little chuttering squeaks like she is talking as she goes. Now they are both sharing a hidey and occasionally I hear quiet little squeaks as well as hay munching.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sounds like they’re slowly getting used to their new home. It’s always fun to watch 😍

Elsafrozearendelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Have observed and heard some typical sow dominance over the past day. I read the detailed posts on the forum for sows to refresh and all seems pretty normal. Some of the noises can tel l are a bit of disagreement. There has been nothing bad I’ve seen or heard and no teeth chattering which is good! It did look like Elsa was kicking out her body once at one point, think she wanted some alone time as her sister seemed to want to lie in the same house too long.

I’ve noticed them share the same hidey for what seems like a few hours, and then gently squeak at each other and then Anna goes on top of the hidey and even goes up and down a bit. Some times it’s like Elsa is being dominant and saying I want some alone time. I thought Anna was top sow at first but I’m no longer sure.

Elsa has been exploring more. If I walk out of room she notices and Runs to a hidey if in the open. I am trying to talk as I go so I am announcing I am here so less of a threat to them.

On food they seem to be eating well. Chomping through hay and when I put out the veggies literally both are hoovering it through. Nothing better than watching them munch on a big green leaf- where does it all go! First few days they ate more pellets but over last day not as many. The bowl goes down a bit (smaller one) Not sure they favor them that much but such a small part of diet and the other food is being eaten.

I really am looking forward to future things such as spending some one on onelap time and letting them into the playpen I have ( useful for when I clean cage).

I go in a bit in my posts I’m sure but am excited to have my piggies and getting any feedback and tips is always invaluable advice! Got some parsley and Romain lettuce to be delivered later and some cider for me. They seem to love cucumber. A serving of spinach was enjoyed(I know they can’t have much of this as can give bladder stones iirc) carrots tried but they didn’t seem as keen

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They sound like they are settling in well!

yes, spinach, parsley and kale are all high in calcium and should be kept limited to one small amount once per week

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Glad to hear they’re settling in well. Do just be aware that they may not necessarily like lap time. Enjoy them on their own terms if that makes sense 😊

Elsafrozearendelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Makes sense, see what each is comfortable with building trust and see how they behave.

I just heard actual loud wheeking! It is veg time but they can’t have caught on that quick could they?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Makes sense, see what each is comfortable with building trust and see how they behave.

I just heard actual loud wheeking! It is veg time but they can’t have caught on that quick could they?
Oh yes they could! They don’t take long to learn where the yummies come from!