New Cage?

BoredBellaaa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I currently have my two boars Alfie and Archie in a Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat, (I know this is under the size requirements for Guinea Pigs, but it was all I could use for now.) I’ve been browsing the internet for a C&C type Cage I could use that is bigger than a Midwest. I found this on Amazon, all of the reviews seem to love it, the pictures seem beautiful and the Cage looks quite large. It’s the cheapest item that I can work with right now. Would you guys think I should buy this or look for something else? Thanks! :)).

•The Link to the Cage is below•
SONGMICS Guinea Pig Playpen with Dense Ramp, Indoor Rabbit Run Hutch Cage, Large Exercise Enclosure with Stairs, DIY Plastic Modular Fence for Hamster, Pet, Small Animals, Transparent ULPC03W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q5Y5FQ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LvVsFb27VQP90

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As you’ve got boars, then the bottom level of the cage being four grids long isn’t big enough. Boars need a c&c cage which is five grids long by two grids wide. The upper level of the cage doesn’t count. You can put a loft in, but the bottom part still need to be 5x2. So if you got this cage, you’d need to use some of the grids that make then loft in making the bottom part bigger. Also, using one of those panels to make a ramp isn’t ideal. It looks too steep and would need to be covered and have sides put on it to be safe for piggies.

Some boars may fine with a 4x2 c&c but a 5x2 is much better for boars. My own two boars had the equivalent space of a 4x2 c&c and it was nowhere near big enough for them.

Cage Size Guide

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you look on Google images at DIY guinea pig cages, I’ve seen a lot of people who have been really inventive with cages to avoid having to pay the cost of a new cage. For example, I’ve seen up-cycled furniture being used, and IKEA cabinets etc.

Or perhaps you can buy those grids and permanently attach them to their current cage to create a super space? 🙂