• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Gp

Status
Not open for further replies.
They look like they're doing okay... those are normal dominance behaviors, your older pig wants to be sure the younger pig knows that she is lower on the hierarchy. If you want them to eventually share a pen/cage, I would give them time to work through their dominance issues in a neutral setting, then scrub down the cage/pen you will be using (to remove any scent marks from the pig already living there) and move them in together. Putting them together and taking them apart can be more stressful for them (and you), as they have to resort the dominance issues all over every single time they meet. Guinea pigs don't really understand the concepts of 'dates' to get to know each other... to them, you meet a new pig, you are assessing them for inclusion or exclusion in the group every time.

Thanks Freela cavy kung po said the same thing. Today we are having them in the pen most of the day then trying them together in the hutch. Once I have scrubbed it.

The nudging bit at the end just had one of them running off a bit I think. Maybe I stood up and they parted but nothing big.

I put a box in with three exits. There has been a bit of scuffling on occasions inside but nothing major. Then later on I put a green igloo thing with one big exit but I think it caused trouble as there was a bit of squeaking inside so I got scared and took it out lol. I have a new cardboard tube so will put that in today and maybe a stick tunnel? I need to go and get pet friendly cleaner so can pick some toys up.

The other thing to throw in the mix is that Pumpkin has been inside in the hutch since her sister died ( 2.5 months ) but we are moving it back outside just near the back door. So I guess I'm paranoid if anything happens I won't see, like fighting. But fingers crossed it won't! And we handle them every day so can check them over etc.

Cavy Kung Poo should have been my username! :))

You could keep the hutch inside for the first week or two of them being in there together, that's what I would do with freshly bonded piggies, just to make sure and for peace of mind. Then move it out after that :)

Cardboard tube would be fine, two exits there so shouldn't be a problem! Stick tunnels are good too!

Check them over for any nips that may have occurred just incase, sounds like it's going well though! :D

Sorry lol. Thank you just scrubbed it white white vinegar and the spray. I think I can smell faint wee but hoping it's just the vinegar. They have been fine in the run.

Yes going to keep them inside was thinking just for a day or two though not weeks my husband would go nuts haha.

Should I put hideys in the hutch? Or leave empty at first? Thanks

Sorry I got an early night aha.

How are they?

Doesn't look too too crowded, if you've noticed any bickering you can take out the hides :)

Hi no worries. They seemed ok. I fee nudges and stuff for the first two hours all from Pumpkin. But when I went to bed she was lying down snoozing so hope they had an ok noght. Just going to get my daughter to take tech one out now and check over.

We are at a wedding today from 12 all day. I will put them in the run then get her and my step dad to move into hutch about tea time. Would that be ok? I think better in run than stuck in hutch all day.

With bonding I always think the more space the better so it's a good idea if you can to put them in the run again as you suggest during the day and then back in the hutch at night. All sounds to be going well.

Thank you. It has been raining overnight just realised. but thought we can put them on the concrete with lots of hay and distractions then my parents and daughter can bring them in later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back