New Guinea pig after passed away

Pebbles1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello it’s been around four mounted since one guinea pig passed and my other one seems to be doing really fine he’s only 2 and we are thinking of getting him a new one . But I think that he will be fine on his own but as well he is only two

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello it’s been around four mounted since one guinea pig passed and my other one seems to be doing really fine he’s only 2 and we are thinking of getting him a new one . But I think that he will be fine on his own but as well he is only two
Hi!

Guinea pigs still profit from round the clock stimulation and interaction with their own kind much more that you would expect on the surface. Just because your boy is getting on with his life doesn't mean that he isn't feeling lonely or bored. Especially as he has most of his life still in front if him! If you can, please make him the best ever present you can make a piggy - a friend or at least neighbour of his own kind!

Please take the time to read these guides below. You should find them very helpful. it is not quite as easy as buying another piggy and sticking them into the cage.

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (includes a chapter on companionship and a chapter on the less obvious signs that your boy may be starved of company.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars includes a chapter on single boars and how to best go about finding them a character compatible friend of their liking.

What you need to do and look out for in any guinea pigs that do not come from a guinea pig rescue with a mandatory quarantine:
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

How to go about bonding: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

What enrichment you can do for your piggies: Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs