• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Guinea Pig Behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
My new Guinea pig Cinnamon, has a weird behaviour.
She is quite shy, and gets scared easily.
But as I said in my introduction, I made her purr heaps of times, Which means shes happy right?
Is it normal for a Guinea Pig to be scared or shy of you when you first get it?
She doesn't mind being held, but yeah, I Love her still.
Will it be a matter of time till she will bond with me?

xx Julia

Give it time, LOTS of time - most guinea pigs that are sold in shops have hardly had any human contact, so they have to learn to trust us first.

Here are tips on settling shy new guinea pigs:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36239

We have more tips for new guinea pig owners which you may find helpful in our reference section.

She ate from my hand :o!
She just started eating and eating,
I think she is just starting to trust me :]

Now I know she is trusting me, She even talks to me now.
I love her.

Glad you are getting on well with Cinnamon. Does she have a friend to talk to? Guinea pigs are social animals and feel much better and safer with a guinea pig friend (a girl if Cinnamon is a girl). Do you think you would be able to get her a friend? Where do you live there are plenty of guinea pigs looking for a friend in rescues around the UK :)) x

random behaviour

hi all i have two lovely boy pigs (piglet and Gizmo). was just asking for advice really they both seem to hate being picked up and piglet will not let you handle him. i put him down for a run so he just tugs on my sock his bowls are always full so it cant be food. also when in play time he laps the living room at full tilt and runs intothings (tables chair legs doors) is this normal he will also sit by the study door which is where the cage is and wheek at me for something but when i go to pick him up he legs it. he is only 4 months so maybe he is testing his boundaries how can you convay the message that they are being naughty without shouting

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back