• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New guinea pig bonding

parkpiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m adopting a new girl piggie tomorrow who will be living with my two girls. She is near enough the same age as them, only a couple months difference. Do you have any advice on the bonding process when we get home with her? Do i need to do anything different or just let them figure it out themselves? I am taking my two to meet her at the rescue first to make sure they get on initially but i’m nervous that they will fall out once they’re at home. Thanks in advance

Make sure you thoroughly clean out the cage they’ll be moving back into when home. And if it’s being done at the rescue then they have to give it a good few hours before deciding. Also bear in mind the settling in and dominance can continue for up to two weeks after they’ve moved in together.

Also be aware that trips can sometimes be awkward in that one of the piggies could be an outsider. Otherwise it’s all down to character compatibility and whether your two girls accept another to join them. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

PS I’ll ask for your post to be moved to a separate thread of its own. This one you replied to was from May. Have a read of the guides below as well.
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Back