• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New guinea pig owner

Fastpaintedhorse

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm New to owning guinea pigs I have two Americans and
Would like to know if any one has any tips or tricks that
Would be helpful for my two baby's

Welcome to the forum.
There are a number of helpful threads for new owners here.
Someone with the tech skills I lack will probably come along and link them for you.

Key areas are good - guinea pigs are appetites with fur.
Basic food guides are 80% hay, a tablespoon of pellets each per day and about a cupful of assorted veggies.
Again, there is information about what should or should not be fed.

Start a vet fund - you never know when you’re going to have to pay a vet bill.

Housing and bedding - there are guides to space needed.

Patience and more patience. Guinea pigs are prey animals so it can take time for them to settle.

And...... most important - we need to to see lots of pictures of your piggies to drool over

Hi I'm New to owning guinea pigs I have two Americans and
Would like to know if any one has any tips or tricks that
Would be helpful for my two baby's

Hi and welcome

You may find our New Owners guide collection very interesting and helpful as we are addressing specifically all the areas we get the most questions and concerns about from settling in and making friends with your piggies (including a spot of piggy whispering), understanding their behaviour, how to care for them and learning to spot what is not normal and what not as well as life long health monitoring and what to do in an emergency etc... We recommend to bookmark the link and use it as a helpful resource as you go along. The guides format allows us to update and extend our information at need and has we have spare time. You can access our full information collection on an even wider range of topics via the guides shortcut on the top bar.
Here is the New Owners link: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Unless you have adopted from a good welfare standard rescue with a mandatory quarantine and vet care, you may want to read this guide which deals with the most common problems that can come with piggies from all other sources so you know what to look out for: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

You are always welcome to ask any questions in our various Care sections; we will do our best to answer any in a friendly way no matter how insignificant. Please accept that we may link guides with more in-depth information into our posts that we can only touch upon shortly,

You are welcome to join our friendly community in the Chat sections to show off your piggies, chat about them or other members piggies etc. If you want to post videos on here, you will have to upload them elsewhere on a public setting and them copy across. We run entirely on voluntary member donations so the extra bandwidth needed is currently out of our reach. We all do this for free in our own free time.

Since we have members and enquiries from all over the world it helps us a lot of you please added your country, state/province or UK county to location in your account details (access by clicking on your username on the top bar) to make it appear with every post you make so we can always tailor any advice straight away to what is relevant and available where you and support you more efficiently. Climate and background, vet and rescue access, medical and general brand names etc. vary quite a lot but have to be taken into account whenever we give our recommendations. This year there is the added issue of the constantly changing situation with the pandemic which is impacting in different ways and at different times around the world and that can play a major role with vet and resources access.

When you have a specific ongoing problem, please keep it to just one thread in one section so we can refer back and support you in an individualised way throughout; not everybody of us can read all guides all the time so it is important for us to be able to catch up and know what has been recommended or ruled out before. Our most sensitive sections are specially monitored by members whose knowledge we fully trust. You can set your own alert notifications via the Watch button at the start of every section and every thread.

I hope that you'll enjoy our place!

Back