• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Guinea pig

HannahMarie517

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just got a guinea pig boar a few days ago. The first day he didn’t really come out of his house. Now he comes out and runs in circles sometimes. He’ll sometimes eat out of my hand but he gets scared if I try to pet him. Sometimes he’ll nibble on my hand. Does he just not like me? He also makes loud swears when I come in the room.

It's very early days for him. It can take a long time for pigs to be at ease with being petted and some never do enjoy a fuss. People often think guinea pigs are cuddly animals when in reality there are many that don't enjoy high interaction with humans. Is he a baby?

I’m not sure, I don’t think the pet shop I got him from knew much about piggys. They tried selling me a wheel and ball for him. Here’s a pic if u can help tell his age.

Attachments

• 1493684D-6759-4B05-BE2C-B27F1F82DDDF.jpeg
    1493684D-6759-4B05-BE2C-B27F1F82DDDF.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17
  • A7E10A1E-8C96-447D-9892-1AEFE388A887.jpeg
    A7E10A1E-8C96-447D-9892-1AEFE388A887.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 17
  • 5DD583DD-A599-422B-8CE6-4C18352A27A4.jpeg
    5DD583DD-A599-422B-8CE6-4C18352A27A4.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 16
He's gorgeous. He looks young. I'm no expert! Most members are in the UK and asleep rn.

He just needs time to adjust and settle. Taking food from you is brilliant, in time he might accept a fuss. But i would just maybe touch under his chin or maybe the top of his front leg on his side. A full on stroke like you'd give a dog or cat will likely be far too much. They are prey animals, always alert, ready to run and be safe. Just a built in instinct for them.

Enjoy his cuteness and you'll learn about him just as he learns about you.

The important thing is not to rush him. Build his trust every time. Rushing him will spook him

Ok thank you
I’ve been trying to pet under his chin. He let me stroke his side a few times before running today. Should I be concerned about the nibbling?

Ok thank you
I’ve been trying to pet under his chin. He let me stroke his side a few times before running today. Should I be concerned about the nibbling?
I don't think so. I think it's a sign of affection maybe. I had a girl that would lick my arm. If his nibbling hurt you, made you say ouch, then that's probably a warning to you, but nibbling sounds OK to me

He’s never hurt me, although he has been getting a little more curious about my hand (his nibbles are getting a little harder) but I don’t think he’s shown any signs of aggression. He also runs in circles in his cage, jumping over his food bowl and toys, is this normal or is he scared?

He's playful and enjoying life. Look up guinea pig zoomies. If he was scared he'd likely hide

New piggies should ideally be left to settle in with a cover over their cage for the first few days/week, doing nothing more than feeding or cleaning them. As prey animals, everything scares them and after having come from a pet shop, it’s all very scary for them. You can then build up contact at their pace, bearing in mind that being scared when touched is normal and most piggies don’t like being touched or picked up. They nibble for a variety of reasons. " Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Do you have another piggy for him to live with? It’s essential that guinea pigs aren’t kept alone as they are highly social and need to be kept in pairs. but it is also all the more important for youngsters (piggies under four months of age) to not be by themselves.
Double check his sex yourself, as mistakes happen in pet shops, before bonding him with another piggy.
Do be aware that a pair of boars need a cage measuring 180cm x 60cm.

Below is a collection of useful guides.

New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Once I get him a new cage he’ll be getting a friend (probably a female after he gets neutered )

Once I get him a new cage he’ll be getting a friend (probably a female after he gets neutered )

I think I’ve just commented on your other thread - boars are usually over four months old before they can be neutered. He will also need to be kept away from a sow for six weeks after his neutering surgery as he will still be fertile during those first six weeks and can therefore still cause a pregnancy

Ok, I’ll probably use some of that time to introduce them from separate cages, or a divider.

Ok, I’ll probably use some of that time to introduce them from separate cages, or a divider.

Since character compatibility is the deciding factor on a successful bond, introducing from separate cages does not tell you enough about whether they would be compatible upon physical contact. Two piggies can live happily side by side during an initial couple of weeks but not be compatible upon introduction.
You are better off to either bond him with a boar via dating now (if he is young he really should not be alone), or have him neutered and then find him a sow via dating but as mentioned, depending on his age, he could have months to wait which wouldn’t be good for him

Oh ok
I’ll go see what rescue places we have around here and then I’ll work on letting him pick a new friend

Ok I have a question (more of a follow up on my previous question)
So he’s been coming up to my hand on his own, but then he’ll bite it. He hasn’t drawn blood or anything but it does sting sometimes. At first I thought he was just scared, but I leave my hand at the entrance and he’ll sniff it then bite. Is he trying to show dominance? Sorry for asking so many questions hes my first.

Ok I have a question (more of a follow up on my previous question)
So he’s been coming up to my hand on his own, but then he’ll bite it. He hasn’t drawn blood or anything but it does sting sometimes. At first I thought he was just scared, but I leave my hand at the entrance and he’ll sniff it then bite. Is he trying to show dominance? Sorry for asking so many questions hes my first.

Do your hands smell of food?
Young piggies explore with their mouths. Did you read the ‘biting’ guide I added in earlier in the thread - it contains a lot of useful information

Back