• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Guinea Pigs Not Eating Very Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widdy555

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all..... New owner question, how much should my guinna pigs be eating? I've had them nearly a week and I worry that they aren't eating as much as I thought they would.... I have had guinea pigs before but over the years ago so it's hard to remember :-(

I've been feeding them the burgess food they were fed on at the pet store, giving them plenty of hay and offering fresh veg. I gave them carrots and spring greens last night, both of which I know they had at the store, but they've hardly touched it :-( if even at all. There water bottle isn't going down either They are pooping and weeing. Do you think it's just nerves?

Are they eating hay? This is the most important thing. Sometimes it can take time for new piggies to adjust to vegetables (even if they did have them in store). Yes it is probably a bit of nerves. Do they have plenty of hiding spots in their set up? This way they can eat whilst hiding. Don't worry too much about the water right now, some don't drink a lot anyway. Try giving them some watery veg today. Giving them plenty of quiet time or even covering the cage for a brief time with a towel, just to give them a bit of time to adjust. They will get there. Keep an eye that those poo's are still coming as they must be eating if they are.

They should ideally be weighed weekly, so this should start to give them an idea of if they are eating enough.

Enjoy them. They will take time to adjust but once they know you they're super fun.

x

Hi and welcome!

give your little ones time to settle. As long as they are eating plenty of hay9which should make the bulk of their diet), they will be fine. It is likely that they haven't had much in the way of veg before anyway. Too much veg is not good for their digestion.

You may find these threads her helpful in settling in your guinea pigs:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

Hi, i just wanted to add to this that I'm going through a similar scenario, my new piggy wasnt eating much at all, even with the advice from his breeder he still seemed to be not eating/drinking... which gave me a lot of concern... I was trying him with various fresh foods (at one point my fridge had more food for him than me! lol... ) i think it was probably "moving house nerves" tbh....
cos after a week he started to settle and he seems to like green lettuce / carrots / apples.
He seemed fussy on his hay though... but after research i found that "timothy meadow" hay was a good choice and he loves that.
hope that helps a bit.
Ive now got a right "wheeker" on my hands whenever i go to the fridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back