• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • Potential Forum Meet - Manchester Saturday March 2nd Details here!.
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.
  • As from Wednesday, 30th January, Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic will be relocating to 1 The Drive, Northampton, NN1 4RY

New little man has joined us, long haired

Lorcan

Adult Guinea Pig
You'll want to keep him trimmed, most likely. I didn't trim Blitzen and I often wished I did, but he was a menace about grooming anyway. Keeping the longest bits trimmed back means they're less likely to get caught up in poop and pee and it makes them much easier to groom. I know a lot of members here use brushes, but I used a comb like this one: https://amzn.to/2N4WWRu

To give you an idea of what I was working with:
prettyboys.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
New baby has joined us tonight, he is long haired, need advice of best way to keep him Matt free and I have no idea what to use on him
Sorry, an illustrated long-haired piggy grooming guide is still on the list of guides to write...

Ideally you keep the areas that mat the most as short as possible; that is the back end and area around the genitals and legs. Also keep the sides off the ground and the underlayer shorter. In summer you want to give a full short haircut so they don't have to wear the equivalent of a skisuit on a tropical beach. By autumn the hair is grown back. Most long-haired piggies hate having their hair pulled during grooming; with some judicious hair cutting you can minimise the discomfort and also the time you have to spend on grooming.

You can use scissors or pet clippers. Make sure that you keep a finger between scissors and skin in case of sudden movements. What you use is what you feel most comfortable with.

For grooming I find soft brushed best for sleek breeds like shelties, coronets and perus whereas you want to use an afro look comb for curly, rough-haired rex-type breeds like texels, merinos, alpacas, lunkaryas and long-haired Swiss teddies.

Use our piggy whispering tips to assert your authority (gently at first) but also give plenty of reassurance, love and praise during the process. Have a nice treat ready for afterwards.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

mummyemily

Junior Guinea Pig
Thank you, I will try and take some phots of him this morning, it’s been a few years since I had piggies and feel like a total novice again. Think we will wait until he is used to the family and settled then will start a litttle grooming