• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

New owner. Routine advice

NikkiD

New Born Pup
Hi everyone, we have recently become the proud owners of 3 guinea pigs. They have a double layer hutch which is outdoors. Currently I have them on one level as they don’t seem confident with the ramp between the levels. So they are in the hutch overnight and out in a 6ft run in the garden all day (with lots of hiding places). We’ve had them in the run from 8am to 7pm. Tomorrow will be the first day that no one is at home during the day so it’s got me thinking; are they safe left in an enclosed run all day with no one at home but equally I’m not too happy about them in one layer of the hutch all day. What do others do when they are at work? Any advice re ramp and opening up both levels? Perhaps I’m being over cautious!

Jaycey

Forum Donator 2017/18
@NikkiD There are too many unknowns for us to say they will be fine all day in the run.

I'd open up the ramp. The pigs won't use it if they're unsure but they have the option of more space if they want it.

NikkiD

New Born Pup
thank you. Think I’ll introduce the ramp over the weekend and hopefully they’ll master it soon enough. I decided to let them run around in the run this morning for an hour but have put them back in the hutch whilst no one is around. A large ginger cat has appeared in our garden - something else to worry about 😩

Jamston

Junior Guinea Pig
I had the same concern with ramp so I bought a tunnel for the ramp and also put a brick under the ramp so the gradient was not to steep. I subsequently built a stand for the ramp to go on. E21EA4E0-B558-462E-A8A3-541EE5FAA6A9.jpeg 8E6736F7-A8BE-4BD6-8F19-759AA3FD08F5.jpeg

NikkiD

New Born Pup
What a great idea! Will give that a try. Looks safer. I was worried about them not seeing the gap and falling but the tube would stop that too. Thank you 😊