New Pig Arrivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail Lambert

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Last weekend my two new piggies arrived Munch and Nibble. As I mentioned from in one of my preceding posts I obtained from a friend of mine who had some pigs and there was some mismanagement and an unplanned pregnancy. I took two of the pigs but there were 3 boys, brothers, together since birth. I really feel in my heart I should have taken all three and I am debating going back for the third, not that my friend wont be able to find him a companion but I just feel that they are brothers. The hutch I have is probably a two pig hutch but we are in the process of building an attached run connected with piping for them to go down so I am planning for the hutch to be a part of a bigger complex. I have a play pen for them as well for when they come into the bungy or go to the grass in my front garden which obviously has a protective mesh roof. Do you think Piggy people that I should get the brother Pig. I have read a fair bit in the boar section but am uncertain about this particular situation.

Cuddles With Cavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Board can be tricky! Although I have seen people with groups of boars that live in harmony, in most cases two is pretty much the maximum.

Boars will get on in groups as babies because they've not yet reached sexual maturity. This is why pet shops and breeders can get away with keep boys in groups until they are sold. But as soon as the are about 3 - 5 weeks of age, their hormones increase which leads them to start displaying their dominance in a group. Whilst most males will tollerate and even enjoy the company of one male, any more just tends to result in violence. :(

Gail Lambert

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for your advise. As it turned out my friend has passed the other pig to a family who had two boars but one passed away so they are now looking for a replacement companion. He seems to have gone to a good home.

Status
Not open for further replies.