• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Pig Owner: My Piggy Is Sneezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe's Piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I am new here and new to the world of owning guinea pigs!
I brought 2 healthy boys home yesterday, 1 is 6 weeks old and the other is almost 5 weeks old. I have given them a check-up and from what I can tell they are in remarkable health. They've been eating, drinking, peeing and pooping regularly and normally. However, one or both of them sneezes from time to time ... I haven't actually seen who is sneezing, I only know that the sneezes come in twos. I heard him (whoever it was) sneeze last night, once this morning, once this afternoon, and one just now. They're not loud or wet-sounding sneezes. I've checked them over to look for discharge around their noses and eyes and can see nothing. Is this something to be concerned about? What causes guinea pigs to sneeze? Is it just a reaction to all the new smells around them? Would love it if someone could inform me on this subject :)

No nasal discharge is a good sign- keep an eye out for that, because it can mean a respiratory infection that needs prompt treatment. It may be a matter of new smells, different bedding, etc. Keep an eye out to see if they are making this sneeze sound prior to grooming. Guinea pigs secrete thick, milky tears from their eyes that they will use to groom themselves, and sometimes make a sneeze-type sound to force out this fluid before grooming. Hope this helps a bit! Congrats on your new arrivals!

Congratulations on getting two new babies! :)

Sometimes boys make a noise that sounds like a sneeze, like a little "pssth", I think that's a dominance sound and is just a way to communicate, not actually sneezing.

Real coughs make more of a "heck" sound. Sorry for the sound effects, hope they make sense! But it sounds to me like they're both healthy and happy. But obviously keep a close eye just like you're doing in case there is something developing x

Hi, welcome to the forum's.

Ahh babies... where's the pics?! lol :D

Ermm, I don't know really, mine sneeze as well and they are on fleece XD could be their hay of course or even just something in the air. Like others have said, just keep an eye on them. If you are worried though you could always take your guinea for an health check?

What substrate are you using for them?

Hello! I am new here and new to the world of owning guinea pigs!
I brought 2 healthy boys home yesterday, 1 is 6 weeks old and the other is almost 5 weeks old. I have given them a check-up and from what I can tell they are in remarkable health. They've been eating, drinking, peeing and pooping regularly and normally. However, one or both of them sneezes from time to time ... I haven't actually seen who is sneezing, I only know that the sneezes come in twos. I heard him (whoever it was) sneeze last night, once this morning, once this afternoon, and one just now. They're not loud or wet-sounding sneezes. I've checked them over to look for discharge around their noses and eyes and can see nothing. Is this something to be concerned about? What causes guinea pigs to sneeze? Is it just a reaction to all the new smells around them? Would love it if someone could inform me on this subject :)

Hi and welcome!

Guinea pigs can sneeze occasionally throughout the day in order to clear their noses without being ill. Some beddings or dry air (like from an A/C unit or desert clime) can also contribute.

However, there is a decided risk that the sneezing could develop quickly into a respiratory infection, especially in very young, shop bought guinea pigs who have been exposed to the bacteria in the shop and whose immune system is lowered from the major changes to their young lives while not yet fully developed.

5 sneezes in a day do usually not constitute a URI (respiratory infection), but if you are in doubt, please never hesitate to see a vet. Guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly, babies even more so. :(

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and doable where you are.
Here is how to: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

We have got lots of information at the top of our various Care sections, which you may find helpful, but you are always welcome to ask any questions you may have in there.

Hi, welcome to the forum's.

Ahh babies... where's the pics?! lol :D

Ermm, I don't know really, mine sneeze as well and they are on fleece XD could be their hay of course or even just something in the air. Like others have said, just keep an eye on them. If you are worried though you could always take your guinea for an health check?

What substrate are you using for them?

They are on fleece, and their litter box has dust-free recycled paper bedding in it.
Also forgot to mention that they've gone from outdoor farm piggies to being indoor suburb piggies >:O

Congratulations on getting two new babies! :)

Sometimes boys make a noise that sounds like a sneeze, like a little "pssth", I think that's a dominance sound and is just a way to communicate, not actually sneezing.

Real coughs make more of a "heck" sound. Sorry for the sound effects, hope they make sense! But it sounds to me like they're both healthy and happy. But obviously keep a close eye just like you're doing in case there is something developing x

Never knew that boys made a sneeze-like sound as a dominance display! Very interesting ... my boys have definitely been trying to work out who's boss since they moved in.

Hi and welcome!

Guinea pigs can sneeze occasionally throughout the day in order to clear their noses without being ill. Some beddings or dry air (like from an A/C unit or desert clime) can also contribute.

However, there is a decided risk that the sneezing could develop quickly into a respiratory infection, especially in very young, shop bought guinea pigs who have been exposed to the bacteria in the shop and whose immune system is lowered from the major changes to their young lives while not yet fully developed.

5 sneezes in a day do usually not constitute a URI (respiratory infection), but if you are in doubt, please never hesitate to see a vet. Guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly, babies even more so. :(

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and doable where you are.
Here is how to: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

We have got lots of information at the top of our various Care sections, which you may find helpful, but you are always welcome to ask any questions you may have in there.

I am from Canada :)
My guinea pigs weren't bought from a shop, but they did come from a farm and were outdoor piggies, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
I heard just one sneeze-like sound this morning but that's been it so far ... I wonder if it's just because they're always nose-first into everything, especially their hay. I would be sneezing too if I did that! I will definitely keep an eye on them, just in case.

No nasal discharge is a good sign- keep an eye out for that, because it can mean a respiratory infection that needs prompt treatment. It may be a matter of new smells, different bedding, etc. Keep an eye out to see if they are making this sneeze sound prior to grooming. Guinea pigs secrete thick, milky tears from their eyes that they will use to groom themselves, and sometimes make a sneeze-type sound to force out this fluid before grooming. Hope this helps a bit! Congrats on your new arrivals!

Interesting! I never knew about the tears from their eyes part. Good to know.

Very cute pics! I'm in Canada too... greater Toronto are in Ontario.

Okay, what do you guys know about guinea pig coughs?
My boys seem to not be sneezing anymore, or hardly at all, but this morning I heard one of my guinea pigs coughing (I think it's the orange guy). I checked them both over thoroughly and haven't found anything concerning or unusual physically. They're eating, peeing and pooping like normal and they popcorn around all the time. However when I picked up my orange guy the breath coming through his nose was fairly loud; not sure if it would qualify as wheezing or stuffiness or if it was just because he was scared so he was breathing hard. I'm concerned because I heard that it could mean an URI and I should take him to the vet, however I'm leaving all day today ... Any advice?

He does need to see a vet to rule out URI, but the vet should also check his heart too. My Star had a wheeze and turned out to have a heart issue and was put on meds. This could be a URI though or even allergies.

Well I'm happy to report I haven't heard any coughing since I last posted, nor have I heard or seen anything else to be concerned about. In fact, my orange guy was popcorning like a maniac this morning, and last night they were both play-fighting together for half an hour. They seem to be doing just fine, with the occasional sneeze (which I'm sure comes from them both burrowing under their hay when they get in a silly mood).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back