• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Pig Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMoo&Nibbles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello I've asked a few questions and everyone have been really nice, thanks.
(I think I scare them by chasing and picking them up so I'm looking for a tube or a cushion house or something I can catch them in anyone have any product names I can look up on the inrernet? Thanks)
We set them up like this. Is this okay do I need anything more or less? Is it okay?
Thanks, I don't know if they have enough toys, ect.
We got them last week.
Also they hide from us every time we come by or they hear us. They never come up to us.
Any idea? Thanks
; attachment ;

Screenshot_2015-07-06-00-10-47.png
Screenshot_2015-07-06-00-10-40.png
Screenshot_2015-07-05-23-59-18.png
Screenshot_2015-07-05-23-59-08.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Your set up looks lovely! It will take awhile for them to get used to your voices and movements. I would recommend talking to them continuously as that seems to be what has worked for us the best with the piggies we have had. They come to understand your voice and inflection and thus feel safe when they hear you. My kids and I have what we call our "pig voice" that they all respond to, even the new babies. When I walk into a room, I would swear that Rolo knows it's me and looks up as if to hope I have a sweet pepper or sprig of coriander. When I say "ROLO" he runs over and puts his little feet up on the cage sides. So cute. If I don't have a treat, he stomps away with attitude! :) Then he purrs, as if to say I love you anyway!

Keep talking to them and handling them. They will come to trust and love you over time. I usually take their house out (long timothy hay 3 holed tube) and they come out to investigate. I let them take their time and do it on their own terms. Ben and Grace (my kids), not so much! They tip their houses over and wait for them to gently fall out. Once in arms they are all love and snuggles.

Good luck with your new beautiful babies! Moo Moo reminds me of my Evan! XOXO:wub: Pig-napping may happen!

Okay I'll keep trying the voice, we have a one year old and she screams her head off lol.
i took my old phone and played classical music i stopped though because they ran into the wall so hard the phone fell in there cage.
I dont know how long it was in there but they werent hurt and neither was my phone, lol I didnt even know they could see the phone to knock it off.
We took the babys playpin and cut and melted it into a cage. I want to get c&c and zip tie it to the top for another floor but may wait because were going to move into another house.

Edit: I held moo moo and he started screaming. Is that the submissive scream I wonder? My girlfriend told me to put him back because I was hurting him but he was wrapped up in a towel comfy he just doesn't like to be touched, picked up, or much right now everything is new. And from what the pet shop said they were under 12weeks. But I don't trust what the pet shop says because they don't just deal with guinea pigs they deal with monkeys, snakes, lizards, everything. So I don't really trust what they say. Plus it was a new worker lol.
I cleaned there cage and put them in a box. They both chatterd stood up and went for the kill. We separated them instantly., after the cage was clean we put them in and they were alright agian.
I watched them closely for about 25mins.
Our first guinea pig play pin floor time, I had the food in the middle of the little play pin they walked around played with the ball. I had my fingers holding the top of the cage because my daughter wanted to get in and I was watching her too. Nibbles came up to my finger and moo moo came by said hi and nibbles chatterd his teeth. 2 minutes after that nibbles went to a corner and laid down maybe trying to aleep? And moo moo came wanting to play. Nibbles got up and started chattering teeth I put nibbles in the house. And then moo moo. After that they were playing and jumping up twitching and running in circles.?
I had no hideys in the play pin I need to buy more. I also stopped play pining. I need another play pin and I need to make it bigger.
I don't understand them teeth chattering. The only time they really squared up was when I was cleaning there cage I put them in a small box. It was the only thing I had ;_;

Last edited:
This is the way we collect our piggies

You can buy Chubes from most pet stores

Please have a read of this thread on settling piggies

Settling Piggies http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/

I would recommend short lap times at first and then gradually building it up, also during lap time have some veg for them to eat it will make them associate you with good things. This will help them settle with you as you need to build the trust up. Piggies are prey animals by nature so are very scared at first.

Could you add your location to your profile please?

Thanks

Please have a read of this thread on settling piggies

Settling Piggies http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/

I would recommend short lap times at first and then gradually building it up, also during lap time have some veg for them to eat it will make them associate you with good things. This will help them settle with you as you need to build the trust up. Piggies are prey animals by nature so are very scared at first.

Could you add your location to your profile please?

Thanks

I looked at our pet store. But I'll try and look agian, I really need to buy baby food so I'll have to wait on the tube though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-47-32.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-47-32.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-45-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-45-15.png
    383.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-44-36.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-44-36.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-41-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-06-07-41-21.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 3
One of these okay to pick then up or different ones?

Tubes for piggies need to measure 5 inches (opening) by 9 inches long

As for the teeth chattering, how big is their cage?

Tubes for piggies need to measure 5 inches (opening) by 9 inches long

As for the teeth chattering, how big is their cage?
Pretty big two of everything I can't measure it right now though

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-05-23-59-08.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-05-23-59-08.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back