New piggie and bonding

Rubys cafe

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All
I haven’t posted in a while as I sadly lost both my boars who were10 years old in a year, then my dad passed away a few months ago!
I have recently rescued a guinea pig that was found in an overground garden . Nobody has claimed her so we have taken her in. We’ve now had her a month , we think she’s a girl !She’s thriving and eating loads , we think she’s very young, I’ve now Booked her appointment at the cat and rabbit clinic to get a health check and check the sex.
I want to get her a friend so is it best to pair her with another girl or a neutered boar?
I’ve no experience of this but I’ve contact the Guinea rescue Place in Dunstable to see if she can help pair her up After the health check up . It’s a bit tricky with Covid regulations , so everything’s taking longer.
She’s a beautiful piggie full of energy and becoming very confident.
Any advise Gratefully received.
Thanks

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
She’s is a beauty! :wub: Well done for taking her in. With regards who is best suited to her, that’s up to her and the other piggy. Character compatibility is the most important thing. Send some emails out to rescues and see if you can take her to choose herself a friend.
Rescue Locator
I’m sorry you lost your boys - what a fab age to get to. And condolences for your father’s passing. 💕

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All
I haven’t posted in a while as I sadly lost both my boars who were10 years old in a year, then my dad passed away a few months ago!
I have recently rescued a guinea pig that was found in an overground garden . Nobody has claimed her so we have taken her in. We’ve now had her a month , we think she’s a girl !She’s thriving and eating loads , we think she’s very young, I’ve now Booked her appointment at the cat and rabbit clinic to get a health check and check the sex.
I want to get her a friend so is it best to pair her with another girl or a neutered boar?
I’ve no experience of this but I’ve contact the Guinea rescue Place in Dunstable to see if she can help pair her up After the health check up . It’s a bit tricky with Covid regulations , so everything’s taking longer.
She’s a beautiful piggie full of energy and becoming very confident.
Any advise Gratefully received.
Thanks
Poor baby! What a little cutie!
Mutual liking comes long before gender or age but she looks rather young so any neutered boar would be likely delighted to have a little 'wifelet'; single boars are more likely to be around than single sows but either will suit as long as they take to each other.

Hazelcroft Guinea Pig Rescue in St Albans or Healthlands in Bassingbourne may be your closest rescues from our recommended rescues locator.
Please note that we can only vouch for the listed rescues, which have all passed a careful vetting process. With all other places you are on your own. Anybody in this country can call themselves a rescue or a breeder without licensing or control - or any mix between the two as well. :(
Rescue Locator
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

PS: I am ever so sorry for all your losses. It can really whack you - but be very proud because 10 years is not an age that is reached often!

Rubys cafe

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor baby! What a little cutie!
Mutual liking comes long before gender or age but she looks rather young so any neutered boar would be likely delighted to have a little 'wifelet'; single boars are more likely to be around than single sows but either will suit as long as they take to each other.

Hazelcroft Guinea Pig Rescue in St Albans or Healthlands in Bassingbourne may be your closest rescues from our recommended rescues locator.
Please note that we can only vouch for the listed rescues, which have all passed a careful vetting process. With all other places you are on your own. Anybody in this country can call themselves a rescue or a breeder without licensing or control - or any mix between the two as well. :(
Rescue Locator
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

PS: I am ever so sorry for all your losses. It can really whack you - but be very proud because 10 years is not an age that is reached often!
Thank you for the info .
The Dunstable rescue is run by a lady that works for the RSPCA. I’ve heard good things but yes seem to be more single boars around .
Thanks for the info much appreciated I’ll look at St Albans rescue place too thanks