• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Piggie Issue

Hope444

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My family had 5 girls, with two that were fairly dominant. This year we lost 3 of them, and I really wanted to have a new piggie. We got a pet store piggie and separated her, but she got through into the main cage. I thought I would let her have a try with the older pigs (4 yrs old) for today, but one keeps picking on her. She's really tiny. I'm not sure how old. We have a really large cage, so there is a lot of room. How long should I keep them separate? Will the older pigs ever accept the new one?

The first t things are this.
1. If the new piggy is younger than four months then she needs to be bonded with them as soon as possible. If she is older than four months then you need to quarantine her for two weeks, in a different room.
2. Introductions should always be done on neutral ground.

Where did you ‘try’ her with the older ones? And where were the rest? What exactly is your older piggy doing to the new one? If she’s being chased and jumped that is all normal.

If you just let her in their side then she may be seen as the intruder. It needs to be on neutral ground with no smells of any pig, a pile of hay in the middle and veg, but no hides.

The problem with just getting pet shop piggies is the fact that your current ones may not bond with the new piggy. In which case you need to have a plan b if things don’t work out. It’s always best, if possible, to take all piggies to a rescue so they can choose themselves their own friend. It’s also sometimes a possibility that they don’t want any piggies joining them. So that’s something to think about in your case.

Another thing is that trios can be hard to maintain, as you often end up with an outsider.

Have a read of the guides I’ve linked below and then see whether you’ll try again. Please make sure you piggy proof it as well. If she can slip through the divider she may be able to slip out of the cage.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...-stress-fear-and-antisocial-behaviour.167934/
s-behaviour-and-female-health-problems-including-ovarian-cysts.167978/

When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
Bonds In Trouble
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I will try to reintroduce them on neutral ground. One of the older pigs looks like she could be nipping her. She suddenly strikes at her with her mouth.

She may be putting her in her place. There is a difference between a well placed nip and a bite. Sows tend to pull hair rather than bite like boars. Read the guides and prepare for bonding. You need to do it today if the new piggy is 4 months or younger.

I've got them on neutral ground with some food right now. I'm sure she's younger than 4 months.

Let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed. Make sure you thoroughly clean out their cage and rearrange things. Three of everything.

We just cleaned the cage today and have lots of hides and beds. We have one big community hay area. So far they are doing well in the make shift area.

Attachments

• 20200919_104749.jpg
    20200919_104749.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 12
Oh, she’s tiny. Look at her squeezed in there!

They seem like they are getting along

Attachments

• 16005411630017688103762395945113.jpg
    16005411630017688103762395945113.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 11
Here's our cage. We had an area blocked off for the baby.

Attachments

• 20200919_115405_HDR.jpg
    20200919_115405_HDR.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 13
Are you now going to remove the divider and give them access to it all? Has all bedding been changed and things rearranged?

Just move things about so it isn’t the same as it was before - you just want to make everything neutral for them. Have you put all fresh fleeces in?

I covered an area so they could lay down together in the "bonding pen".

Attachments

• 20200919_124642.jpg
    20200919_124642.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 12
That’s a lovely piggture - wishing good luck that they become great friends 🥰

The pig that seemed to be nipping at the baby chased the baby out of their little covered corner with several lunge/nips. The baby was just laying there sleeping when it happened.

Top pigs always have a choice of hides so that all sounds normal. Are they in their cage or still in the bonding area?

I put them in the cage but the pig that keeps nipping at her is still doing it when she comes near the baby. The baby will just be sleeping or eating and she comes up to her and does that or chases her around.

Back