new piggie

mr.snuffs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok so I'm getting a new piggie today she's two months and she's an only pup... so my question is where she's born alone and at the moment don't know if I can go right back to having two after just losing two can I take my time on finding her the right cage mate or does that need to be top priority? all answers are appreciated

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take a one alone so young. When I took in one at 6 weeks I was going to do a quarantine period but she didn't eat or move overnight so I had to put one of the others in with her otherwise she would have starved

mr.snuffs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
she was the only pup to be born so should I go to the pet store and find her a suitable cage mate? or see how she acts when I get her and go from there?

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with @Lady Kelly that being so young I’d get her a friend as soon as possible. Is there a rescue anywhere you that you could try? Where are you getting the little girl from? Just wondering if she could stay there till you find her a friend...

Reenie

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Piggies learn from their elders, so the worst time to be alone is when they are very young. It's even recommended to forego quarantine for a very young piggy, since their need for company is more important. Good luck x

mr.snuffs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I agree with @Lady Kelly that being so young I’d get her a friend as soon as possible. Is there a rescue anywhere you that you could try? Where are you getting the little girl from? Just wondering if she could stay there till you find her a friend...
so I found out that she is actually a he and i got him from a friend of my bio mom in fall river, she didn't seem very keen on holding onto him for too long

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok. At least you found out before you had pregnant piggies on your hands! Hopefully you’ll be able to find single boars somewhere. Alternatively if you could find a sow (or even a pair of sows), you could keep them in a separate cage but next to his (making sure there’s no way for him to escape and get into the girls cage). They could then interact through the bars in anticipation of his getting neutered (four months old at earliest) and joining them once he’s six weeks post operation.

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well done for offering to be a loving home for the little one. Perhaps this is a great opportunity to rehome an older male to be a dad pig or grand pig and show him the ropes?!

Robin_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As others have said, he’s quite young to be all on his own yet. I would definitely look into adopting a friend :)

If you give a general location I’m sure some of us would be happy to recommend some rescues in your area!

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and well done giving this little boy a new home
Hope to see pictures soon.
Good luck finding a companion for him

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
Have a look on the Guinea Pig Lynx website for good rescues
Would love to see a photo of your little chap x