• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

new piggies fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm really starting to worry about the fact my two piggies arent getting on. I picked them up on wednesday and they seemed to enjoy their new cage. I have left them to get on with their own thing and not had them out. There has been a bit of commotion every now and then with cinnamon being chased by nutmeg, especially when she is eating something that nutmeg would like. I got them out for the first time today and was having a snuggle which they seemed to enjoy, lots of purring, but....Cinnamon seems to have a wound on her side, i assume that nutmeg caused this. I havent seen any blood in the cage. do i just let them get on with it or do i need to think about splitting them up, they are only 9 weeks so i hope they can stay together...
any help gratefully appreciated. x

As long as they are both getting the food and water they need and there isn't any blood I would keep them together but keep a close eye on them. You can maybe improve the situation by putting two food bowls, two beds and two water bottles this should help to eliminate any little squabbles between them :) this worked for me. Give them more time aswell if they are new/young they can take a while to settle into their new home, did you get them together? or have introduced one to the other?

I hope they get along, piggies need their furry friends :) good luck

Have you checked the wound? Where is it? Is it new or older? You have to expect a certain amount of dominance, and some are piggies worse than others. Have they been together before you rehomed them?

I would be reluctant to separate; a scratch or a bite could have happened right at the beginning when one of them panicked from being cornered in a small space.

Here is more about sow behaviour:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38561

the wound is not fresh, its nice and dry and there isnt any swelling under it at the moment. just on her side behind her shoulder. I'm going to keep a close eye on it to make sure she doesnt get an infection there. they have just been popcorning around the cage together so i think that is a good sign.. hopefully they will settle down soon...

My suspicion is that this happened right at the beginning when one of them panicked. They are obviously settling down together, so I would stop worrying in that respect - at that young age piggies always bond, but they can be pretty upset by all the massive changes to their life.

Keep an eye on the wound. If you wish, you can put on a tiny dab of bepanthen cream (from the pharmacy) to thelp with the healing.

They have just been popcorning about and sharing the same piece of celery so i think they are starting to settle down. Lets hope the peace contiunes!:))

They have just been popcorning about and sharing the same piece of celery so i think they are starting to settle down. Lets hope the peace contiunes!:))

With girls, you usually only get any problems right at the start - but it looks like they have sorted out the dominance and they will now have time to become friends.

Last edited:
My girls continue to have little squabbles at 4 and a half, but they are never serious. People tend to forget a pair of girls is just like a pair of women asked to spend all their time together - a certain level of hormonal cattiness will always be present! But is usually nothing to worry about :-)

My girls continue to have little squabbles at 4 and a half, but they are never serious. People tend to forget a pair of girls is just like a pair of women asked to spend all their time together - a certain level of hormonal cattiness will always be present! But is usually nothing to worry about :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back