• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New piggies question

Nicolar89

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We brought our piggies (Elsa and biscuit) home 2 weeks ago and seem to be settling in well. I have noticed that there is a lot of growling, slow waking and vibrating going on between them more now than when they first came home however have usually it’s one or the other doing it. I think biscuit is the more dominant seems to explore more and seems to do the shaking thing more often. Elsa is quite flighty and still a little unsure. But the above behaviour they are both doing it and going close to each other bums and sometimes they look to be popcorning. We have a two tier cage so they can get away from each other if they need to and we have just got an outdoor run which they love. Is this behaviour normal and how will I know if there not getting along?

This sounds like rumble strutting and a perfectly normal dominance behaviour :) most piggies do this to set up a hierarchy, and they do seem to enjoy it! The boss pig will usually do it most but an annoyed subordinate will do it right back if they are in the mood to argue or are a lady in season!

It is normal dominance behaviour which can go on for a couple of weeks but also it can happen when one of them comes into season, especially if it's a strong season. The first time I witnessed a strong season I had only had piggies for two months and panicked double and triple checking their genders lol :))

When the Ever Beautiful Betsy is in season she becomes a totally different piggy! Usually she is laid back, calm and lovely but when she is in season her personality completely changes to :yikes: DEVIL PIGGY!:gd::yikes: Even Velvet (DA BOSS BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID if you are a piggy and cue music to shower scene from Psycho) just lets Betsy get on with it for a couple of days. Betsy is a right moody cow and nips and chases and humps and is just awful! Velvet will stop any antisocial behaviour in her herd almost before it starts but doesn't challenge an in season Betsy.

Back