• This weekend was forum pride! We hope you had a great time, the section will remain open to read over the information threads, so dont worry if you missed last night. Visit the section HERE

New piggies to the group

Hollie.B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I currently have 2 females and have just adopted 2 more babies from RSPCA.
Ive kept them seperated between mesh but today was the first time meeting without mesh. Theres a lot of nipping from the matriarch/leader female is this normal? Should i seperate them again?
Also feeling anxious about the babies bringing disease or something into my group even though they have been vet checked before adoption.
Thankyou xx

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Babies need to be bonded with older piggies straight away. You have to forego quarantine for youngsters as their social needs has to come first.

Have you put them in a neutral area? Ie you didn’t just remove the mesh and let the babies go into the adults cage? If so, that will be seen as a territory invasion. They need to meet on neutral territory.
They need to be able to establish a hierarchy so you can’t separate unless things are definitely failing. Now you have started you need to see it through. It can’t be done in fits and starts, it’s all or nothing.

Acceptance is more likely to occur as the new ones are babies, but it’s not guaranteed. Do read the guides below on what to expect

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)