• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New piggy and electric guitars

Cave Of Cavies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys,
As you might be aware of the recent event that had happened to Jackson, I feel that I have passed the grieving process and intend to get another guinea pig. Now I went to the pet store yesterday and saw a baby male guinea pig for sale there and I’m intending to buy it. I’m not sure if it has been noise trained but I am a guitarist and I play guitar, usually my electric guitar which is plugged into a Marshall amp and I use overdrive channel. Is it all right to play my guitar around the guinea pig? Thanks

Piggies get used to noise but as prey animals any sudden of loud noises are going to scare them.

Do you already have another piggy with whom he is going to be bonded? Baby piggies particularly should never be kept alone.

I do have another piggy who is used to metal music and noise so I think it should be fine though. But yeah I just want to be sure that’s all as electric guitars can be very loud!

I do have another piggy who is used to metal music and noise so I think it should be fine though. But yeah I just want to be sure that’s all as electric guitars can be very loud!

It won’t be fine to begin with though. A new piggy is going to be very scared anyway and added noise on top is going to frighten them.

Ensure you go about bonding the right way. Also be aware that as you are buying from a pet shop, then there is no guarantee of character compatibility between the two piggies (either immediately - although babies are often easily accepted - or once the younger becomes a teenager. When gets to his hormonal teens he may have his own ideas on dominance and there is always the potential for problems) so you will need to prepare a plan b of them living in separate side by side cages in case of any issues.

Ensure you check the sex of the new piggy yourself before putting him with your current piggy. Pet shop missexing is common and you wouldn’t want to end up with a mixed sex pair. You will need to check the sex immediately because babies need to be bonded with an older piggy straight away (you have to forego all quarantine in favour of their social needs).

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Back