• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

new piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm getting a new piggy tomorrow! I'm adopting her from a girl that has become allergic to her. Shes aprox 1 year old and is a tri coloured smooth coat sow. I will post pictures tomorrow.

aww congrats, how sad for the girl though

I know right, I think she has been trying to rehome her for a fair while. I contacted her about a week before I got my two boars, reserved her but mum changed her mind and said no to any guinea pigs.

I saw an advert of a litter of 7 week old boars, showed mum the pictures and she agreed to let me have a couple. I felt so guilty though, but I felt as though I could not contact the girl because I had already let her down once.

How ever, I contacted the girl again a few days ago to find out if the sow was still available, and she was. So I'm now getting her too. Perk is that she will come with a nice 48" hutch aswell.

Gypsy

Here she is, all settled in:

2rq0bnr.jpg

I've named her Gypsy :)

friend

x) shes beautiful. will you be finding her a friend?

Possibly may find another sow, or introduce her to my 2 boars when they are neutered. At the moment her hutch is underneath the boars hutch.

Her original owner tried to introduce her to two boars but she did not like them at all, she also tried her with her bunny but she 'beat' it up.

Last edited:
She is beautiful! Please find her girlfriend.

Neutering in guinea pigs only affects their ability to make babies, it does NOT affect their behaviour in any way - it certainly does not calm them down and it will not prevent them from falling out!

You can NEVER have two boars with any amount of sows; there will be inevitably bloody fights. I know that some (bad) breeders do this to ensure that their girls get pregnant asap, but it is an extremely stressful situation for any of the piggies involved and the trauma in those winding up in a rescue often runs deep.
Here is more information about possible boar bonds:
http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/optionsmenu.htm
Here is more information about all aspects of neutering:
http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

PS: Rabbits and guinea pigs should NOT be kept together; they have different food and vitamin requirements, apart from the fact that an intended or unintended kick from a rabbit can seriously injure or even kill a piggy.

Last edited:
PS: Two neutered boars will fight the same over a girl as two whole ones!

I have a neutered boar and there is no difference at all in his behaviour, apart from the fact that there are no babies.

She is beautiful! Please find her girlfriend.

Neutering in guinea pigs only affects their ability to make babies, it does NOT affect their behaviour in any way - it certainly does not calm them down and it will not prevent them from falling out!

You can NEVER have two boars with any amount of sows; there will be inevitably bloody fights. I know that some (bad) breeders do this to ensure that their girls get pregnant asap, but it is an extremely stressful situation for any of the piggies involved and the trauma in those winding up in a rescue often runs deep.
Here is more information about possible boar bonds:
http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/optionsmenu.htm
Here is more information about all aspects of neutering:
http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

PS: Rabbits and guinea pigs should NOT be kept together; they have different food and vitamin requirements, apart from the fact that an intended or unintended kick from a rabbit can seriously injure or even kill a piggy.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to all this, my 2 boars were my first ever piggies and I've not had them long.

When I meant introduce, I meant in the run - not housed together. I want another sow if she's going to be living with another piggy. I'm home all day every day, I work evenings so she will have plenty of company from myself for the time being :).

Sorry, not even in the run! Boys will start to quarrel as soon as they can smell or see a girl.

Gypsey will have to go in the run after the boys are back to minimise any disruption from smells; or you risk a fall out. She's OK above or below them, so she knows that she's not alone.

Guinea pigs live in roaming herds with a core group of sows and one male; the other males are hanging loosely around waiting for their chance. With two boys, you create such a bachelor environment that young males share. Introduce a girl, and you will get fighting for a place with the "herd".

Last edited:
Not unless you want to risk serious upset because the returning boar will NOT be happy to be reduced from lord of the herd to bachelor status again! (Not including him carrying the scent of the girl into the boys' hutch.)
Girls come into season about every two weeks, but it can happen spontaneously when they meet a boar, so it's not worth risking a pregnancy - it takes literally seconds to become pregnant.

I am very sorry having to spoil all your fun! mallethead

Last edited:
I am very sorry having to spoil all your fun! mallethead[/QUOTE said:
I don't think you're spoiling emiley's fun, I think she just wanted everyone to be together and have friends one way or another :)

It's not like you WANT babies, right? :D xx

Last edited:
babies

right. I love my pets, i just wanted her 2 have some company. I have taken what you have said on board and wont be introducing the boars to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back