• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New pigs - keep in smaller cage or transfer to big new cage?

metcarl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just got two new baby (7 weeks) guinea pigs a few days ago. I am keeping them in one of the larger pet store single-level cages. They mostly stay in their grass hut and come out when we aren't looking to eat/drink. I have a new 4x2 C&C cage that is arriving today. My question is when to transfer them? Since they are still shy and scared, I would think transferring them now would be premature. However, if they are mostly spending time in their hut, could I just transfer the hut into the larger cage anyway? I would hate for them to get used to their new surroundings in the smaller cage only to be thrust into a second unfamiliar cage soon after. On the other hand, a smaller environment might be easier to get used to, then I could transfer them gradually once they are more used to us as well. Maybe use the C&C cage as a play area until they are more used to it?

Guinea pigs reestablish their territory in any new environment and you are therefore best to keep territory changes to a minimum - therefore get them into their c&c now. There is little point In having them settle in the shop bought cage and reestablish themselves, then change their cage and they have to go through it all again.

are they boars or sows? A 2x4 c&c is the recommended size for two sows but for two boars it is the minimum. Boars ideally need a 2x5

I just got two new baby (7 weeks) guinea pigs a few days ago. I am keeping them in one of the larger pet store single-level cages. They mostly stay in their grass hut and come out when we aren't looking to eat/drink. I have a new 4x2 C&C cage that is arriving today. My question is when to transfer them? Since they are still shy and scared, I would think transferring them now would be premature. However, if they are mostly spending time in their hut, could I just transfer the hut into the larger cage anyway? I would hate for them to get used to their new surroundings in the smaller cage only to be thrust into a second unfamiliar cage soon after. On the other hand, a smaller environment might be easier to get used to, then I could transfer them gradually once they are more used to us as well. Maybe use the C&C cage as a play area until they are more used to it?

Please transfer the hut into the larger cage and use the soiled bedding to help mark the new territory as theirs so it is not quite as frightening. Guinea pigs are territorial and scent mark their place. Anything that smells of them in a new territory helps to send the signal that it is safe and theirs. Place a sheet over the new cage to give them added feeling of security. ;)

Lots of helpful tips and information via this link here: Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

Got it! I'll transfer them as soon as I get it set up. I assume it will be less of a change to switch from shavings to fleece? I have them on shavings now, will transfer them to the new cage using shavings, then use fleece as soon as the pad I ordered comes in (or until the shavings run out)

Back